Pseudomonas syringae?

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you guys and gals think this coral bark japanese maple is infected with this bacterial infection?

Possible treatments? I read about ZeroTol but have no idea where to find it

Thanks

(it's on one of my patio potted container grown maples)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
That looks horrible. You can find and buy anything online, but I don't know if anything would help at this point. Does the foliage still look good?

Hopefully someone who knows what this is will chime in. Any maple I have ever had with bark issues usually died.

Yes it looks to me to be possibly Pseudomonas. Easily confused with Verticillium Wilt. I am currently treating a piece of maple stock for the disease with ZeroTol with excellent results. I'd make sure your tree stays dry and out of the rain until you see improvements in its health.

Can't remember where I got the ZeroTol from since I got it a couple of years back but you can do a google search. I got the one that comes in a bottle ready to be hooked up in line to your hose and spray. Give your tree a top and bottom (roots) drench and wait to see how your tree responds. Usually I administer a second drench a week later and in a couple of applications I have been able to fight off the bacteria.

This may be a stupid question but to treat the roots do you lift the root ball out of the pot or just spray at the base of the tree like watering it?

I found some ZeroTol on amazon and ordered it. Looks like it's been discontinued by the manufacturer so I ordered 2 bottles to have some in the future.

Thanks again

This may be a stupid question but to treat the roots do you lift the root ball out of the pot or just spray at the base of the tree like watering it?

I found some ZeroTol on amazon and ordered it. Looks like it's been discontinued by the manufacturer so I ordered 2 bottles to have some in the future.

Thanks again

Yes just spray the roots like when you water the tree normally. Good luck! :)

So apparently I'm ready for the pseudomonal apocalypse as I ordered "2" ZeroTol and this turned out to be two cases! I've got 12 bottles of this stuff now. First application today. Foliage starting to suffer now. Hopefully it pulls through.

So apparently I'm ready for the pseudomonal apocalypse as I ordered "2" ZeroTol and this turned out to be two cases! I've got 12 bottles of this stuff now. First application today. Foliage starting to suffer now. Hopefully it pulls through.

Good luck bonsairxmd! I hope the best for your maples. It may indeed end up being Verticillium Wilt as the two are very similar. In my experience, when trees are treated there is a noticeable improvement in the health of the trees when affected by Pseudomonas whereas with Verticillium Wilt there has been none. It just keeps wilting away until all is gone. No cure!

Make sure to keep trees away from rain in a well ventilated area and cut off all the affected parts. Treat all wounds with cut paste. You should be able to see improvement within a week or so where the wilting of leaves ceases and very gradually you will see again healthy growth.

Back
Top Bottom