Probably the best video I've seen on junipers ever

That's an awesome video! Watch it in HD! Thanks for sharing the link here Alex. Now I have to go back and watch all the earlier episodes.

Isn't it? Just in that ten minutes, I learned more than I ever knew about growing and styling junipers -- and styling them so they'll grow reliably...if that makes sense. Every single video in that series are just amazing, and it's awesome that they offer it all for free.

That series is the highest quality production I have ever seen in bonsai videos.

I could watch this series over and over again.
It's all about the best quality, both the production (down to the last little detail), as well as the trees themselves. These kids really know what they're doing.

Thanks so much for posting this - really great info, and yeah, that's easily the best-produced bonsai video series I've ever seen. Terrific in HD.

Only thing I would argue with in the video, and it's more a style point than anything else - I prefer NOT to wire all of the individual shimpaku branches upwards. What I've learned so far is that you can maintain a tree just as long without doing this AND also add some imperfection/naturalness/randomness to the tree without sacrificing unity/symmetry in the overall look. Also, styling a shimp in this way tends to make it look much more like a pine, which I think, again, goes a little too against the natural look of the tree for me.

That's all minor quibbling, however, and more a matter of preference. I think it's a must-see for anyone who owns junipers.

Thanks so much for posting this - really great info, and yeah, that's easily the best-produced bonsai video series I've ever seen. Terrific in HD.

Only thing I would argue with in the video, and it's more a style point than anything else - I prefer NOT to wire all of the individual shimpaku branches upwards. What I've learned so far is that you can maintain a tree just as long without doing this AND also add some imperfection/naturalness/randomness to the tree without sacrificing unity/symmetry in the overall look. Also, styling a shimp in this way tends to make it look much more like a pine, which I think, again, goes a little too against the natural look of the tree for me.

That's all minor quibbling, however, and more a matter of preference. I think it's a must-see for anyone who owns junipers.

Wiring juniper foliage upwards isn't a question of preference or style, but a matter of health. Wiring all the foliage out and pointed up is important so the individual branchlets receives sunlight and remain strong. Foliage hidden from sunlight or pointing downward won't grow well, and will eventually weaken.

I agree about the video series...I've been following these guys for a while and the videos are really well done, informative, and sometimes quite funny. Great stuff.

Yeah, GastroGnome was talking about how he went to study with Bjorn and work on a couple of his trees, and said that he was a super nice guy and very insightful. I can't wait until I have enough experience and nice enough trees to warrant a lesson from him. Maybe I'll just have to buy one from him when I swing down there. ;-p

Absolutely ;)

No promises on it being any time soon. I have to complete my schooling before I can commit to taking bonsai trips. haha -- I gotta keep my mind focused so I can splurge on trees later in life. :D

Wait, is this Brian?? lol -- "BVF" just clicked. Wooow.....It's been a long week.

Great Videos!

Just to add more: http://bonsaifarm.tv/

Lindsay Farr is like Steve Irwin of Bonsai! and you can stream half of every episode spanning two seasons for free!

Back
Top Bottom