Pocomoke Crape Myrtle

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bought this one today... just kind of bored strolling around the local. Ur Seth and saw a couple of these for like $25 with decent movement and small trunks but large enough for Shohin... this one had a nice pancake developing at the bottom, good movement and great branching that just needed a trimIMG_1037.JPG
The chunky base:
IMG_1038.JPG
Jumped in, started removing old dirt, shortening branches...IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG
Annnnddd I was going to repot to a large bulb pot but decided on an old plastic bonsai trainer instead...IMG_1047.JPGIMG_1045.JPG
Off to a decent start, not exactly an "instant bonsai", but these little dwarf Crepes are about as close to "cheating" as you can get with a deciduous tree!!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good man. Love those dwarf crapes.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Eric Group what kind of timing do you use for cutting back new growth? I have one that is quite similar to yours, and have let the new growth extend. I am thinking to cutback sometime soon.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was thinking about ole Bonsai nut earlier this weekend and felt like dropping in today. Good to see some familiar names still around! I figured it might be a good opportunity to update some tree threads, show some progressions.. As I go around watering this evening I will see if any of my old trees are worthy of an update!

This is old Crepe Myrtle nursery find…
F5037588-807D-498D-86F3-B96151AD9561.jpeg

cool little tree.. Needs a HARD prune back to shape it up but I have been focused on health and don’t want to weaken it. Just repotted a few months ago. May work it down next year if it is thriving.
@Wilson- I prune in Spring mostly.. Hard prunes early Spring, maintenance along and along through the growing season… I know that question was from 5 years ago, I guess I haven’t kept up around here. Been a hard 5!!! 😂

Attachments

• E637DF96-4447-4CE5-BFCA-8284FC01944D.jpeg
    E637DF96-4447-4CE5-BFCA-8284FC01944D.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 59FA65FA-11F8-41B1-AC56-BFBA94D345EE.jpeg
    59FA65FA-11F8-41B1-AC56-BFBA94D345EE.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 19

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking about ole Bonsai nut earlier this weekend and felt like dropping in today. Good to see some familiar names still around! I figured it might be a good opportunity to update some tree threads, show some progressions.. As I go around watering this evening I will see if any of my old trees are worthy of an update!

This is old Crepe Myrtle nursery find…
View attachment 435117

cool little tree.. Needs a HARD prune back to shape it up but I have been focused on health and don’t want to weaken it. Just repotted a few months ago. May work it down next year if it is thriving.
@Wilson- I prune in Spring mostly.. Hard prunes early Spring, maintenance along and along through the growing season… I know that question was from 5 years ago, I guess I haven’t kept up around here. Been a hard 5!!! 😂
Better late than never! 😆 Good to see you back around here.

Top Bottom