Planning for spring

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone:)

I'm brand new to bonsai and to the forum. I've figured out a bit on my own, but I have a question I couldn't find an answer to, and I was hoping you could help. I'm in Michigan and I have a small north-facing flowerbed I'm not using. I'd like to put it to work as a training ground for a few trees next spring. Any suggestions on species that can tolerate a northern exposure? They'd be roughly a foot from my garage and would get almost no direct sunlight.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Hi Paul! I'm relatively new as well so others may be able to give you more helpful advice, but I'm happy to share what little I know.

The most common species used for bonsai tend to grow large in their natural states. Elms, maples, pines and so forth are all canopy trees at maturity. I don't know of many shade loving plants that work well when cultivated as bonsai, and most of the typical bonsai species won't do well without at least some direct sunlight. I expect that anything you decide on will have a hard time growing vigorously in that location, but I can't say you are totally out of luck (mostly because I don't know enough. Others might).

Perhaps you could look into plants that are typically shade lovers that are less typical but still lend themselves to bonsai cultivation. I don't have any experience with it myself, but I understand that Ivy (hydera helix and others) works with a bit of effort (http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Hedera.html) and should tolerate the low light levels you have available. On the other hand, I may be wrong,and invite others to correct me.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

An all shade area is going to be hard to get something to grow there well.

Pines and junipers are pretty much out because they love sun.

Maples like some filtered sun, although up in Michigan, they could probably tolerate more direct sun than southern areas so Im not sure how well they would do with all shade.

There are a couple of people here from Michigan that might be able to tell you something that might grow ok under the conditions you can offer.

Paul you will need to use an understory tree in that location. I know Dogwoods, Redbuds and I believe Yaupon Holly are some that should work. I think some of the lace leaf Japanese maples
would work too as they are shade type trees.

ed

Up here( I'm up near Mio,Fairview area) all of the trees go in full sun all day. I have a Kingsville boxwood and a chewed up Japanese maple that get full sun just in the morning.
Where in Michigan are you?

Up here( I'm up near Mio,Fairview area) all of the trees go in full sun all day. I have a Kingsville boxwood and a chewed up Japanese maple that get full sun just in the morning.
Where in Michigan are you?

I'm downstate in the metro area. I may try a Japanese maple, although the flowerbed isn't particularly wide.

Back
Top Bottom