Pine repot and style help

Thanasi

Seedling
Reaction score
Had this pine for years. Don’t exactly know what kind, but very small 5 needle soft needles. Planning to repot this coming spring. Any ideas of style, pruning etc?

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0972.jpeg
    IMG_0972.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0970.jpeg
    IMG_0970.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 89

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Have you ever done something to this tree?
It looks quite big but very leggy and it would be hard to get the foliage closer to the trunk.

Hard to give advice based on these pics.

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Have you ever done something to this tree?
It looks quite big but very leggy and it would be hard to get the foliage closer to the trunk.

Hard to give advice based on these pics
My first inclination - and my strongest inclination - is literati using the highlighted line. Looks like it could work from both sides.

Pine_2.jpeg

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As the other member noted, this tree appears to be very leggy. It's really hard to achieve a convincing bonsai with leggy branches like this. I'm not sure of the species here, but pines don't backbud on old wood very easily. It can happen if the tree is very healthy and you cut back hard during certain times of the year, but still the buds will be very small. Then it will take a very long time chasing the foliage back. Grafting is an option if you are good at it (this tree will require A LOT of grafts), but that is also a long term project. I just don't know if this tree is a good subject for bonsai.

Thanasi

Seedling
Reaction score
As the other member noted, this tree appears to be very leggy. It's really hard to achieve a convincing bonsai with leggy branches like this. I'm not sure of the species here, but pines don't backbud on old wood very easily. It can happen if the tree is very healthy and you cut back hard during certain times of the year, but still the buds will be very small. Then it will take a very long time chasing the foliage back. Grafting is an option if you are good at it (this tree will require A LOT of grafts), but that is also a long term project. I just don't know if this tree is a good subject for bonsai.
Thank you. I'm aware that it is not bonsai material because its leggyness (if that's a word lol). Bought it years ago and kept it in its original pot not knowing what really to do with it. Nursery had it in ground as part of the nursery's yard and not as bonsai. I've done plenty of grafting with 50% success when able to keep the grafts dry. Only problem with grafting is when ubion doesnt take you have an ugly scar

Thanasi

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you. I'm aware that it is not bonsai material because its leggyness (if that's a word lol). Bought it years ago and kept it in its original pot not knowing what really to do with it. Nursery had it in ground as part of the nursery's yard and not as bonsai. I've done plenty of grafting with 50% success when able to keep the grafts dry. Only problem with grafting is when union doesn't take you have an ugly scar

CaptColin

Sapling
Reaction score
This guy has a snack for handling leggy white pines. Maybe some inspiration here:

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My first thought is to plant it in the ground.
I’d let certain areas run while continuously pruning back thicker branching.
I’m thinking back budding may be more prevalent, and you will thicken the trunk in the meantime.

Casey Clancy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hard to see the branching off the main trunk line above, but looks like you could do a bunjin with a deadwood top.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Had this pine for years. Don’t exactly know what kind, but very small 5 needle soft needles. Planning to repot this coming spring. Any ideas of style, pruning etc?
Lots of options. But before you follow suggestions. Please uncover the base below the multiple stems. Decisions made before you are familiar with base and nebari will be misiniformed. Back budding and grafting can create wonderful bonsai out of this material. Simply need to bring it up vigour and work on selecting the best trunk line and appropriate branching. Once you can determine what the base and nebari have to offer.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hmmmm

Thanasi

Seedling
Reaction score
Lots of options. But before you follow suggestions. Please uncover the base below the multiple stems. Decisions made before you are familiar with base and nebari will be misiniformed. Back budding and grafting can create wonderful bonsai out of this material. Simply need to bring it up vigour and work on selecting the best trunk line and appropriate branching. Once you can determine what the base and nebari have to offer.
I agree 100% with your thoughts. I will start the work probably next April. I followed your last recommendation on a black Austrian pine that I have and tree is doing great.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also might add some strong bends would really add to this composition. Would require assistance of folks knowledgeable, perhaps a visiting professional to your club. Yet these are very doable and could be good practice for future projects.

cheers
DSD sends

Thanasi

Seedling
Reaction score
I agree 100% with your thoughts. I will start the work probably next April. I followed your last recommendation on a black Austrian pine that I have and tree is doing great.

Top Bottom