Picea Glauca Conica #1 - Progression Thread

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone,

This is my attempt at a progress thread to keep my trees documented throughout the years.

My picea started life as one of those garden center christmas trees. It's been in training for slightly more than a year as of today.
The tree was repotted a week ago into pumice and akadama for the first time. It's finally out of it's garden center peat, ready to hopefully form a new denser root mass. It now only has a few large roots with fine roots at their ends.
These roots come out a few inches up the trunk, so I have potted it deep. A much nicer an wider part of the trunk is therefore still obscured.

Here is the tree in January 2023:
IMG_1196.JPG

... and here it is today, repotted, rewired and with buds just opening:
IMG_7331.jpgIMG_7336.jpg

As you can see I'm aiming for a tall formal upright spruce with weeping branches. An image I often see in mature Spruce here in The Netherlands.
I'll keep a report of it's future progress.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice work!
Yep, a very naturalistic look for the species.
I like where your going with it.

JRBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update 19-04-2024

This is having a really strong flush of growth this year.
Pinching tactically last year really helped to push vigour back into the lower branches.
The plan is to not pinch this year, but perform selective pruning and wiring later this year to set the individual pads.

Composition wise this definitely needs to be move left of center in the pot, in my opinion.
Sadly, the shape of the rootball did not allow for it this time around. I'll see how far I can reduce it next time around.

IMG_7561.jpg

Top Bottom