Paul's Scarlet hawthorn

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice, these are hard to find of any quality. I had one for a couple years, but the tree was so ugly I couldn't look at it... Except for when flowering. Love it!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Judy, I've crafted this from a straight stick cutting using only clip and grow method. I have a large, full size nursery tree, that I'm going to take a few airlayer pieces, so they'll be bigger from the get go. I have Crimson Cloud, too, in the works.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy, I've crafted this from a straight stick cutting using only clip and grow method. I have a large, full size nursery tree, that I'm going to take a few airlayer pieces, so they'll be bigger from the get go. I have Crimson Cloud, too, in the works.
Awesome. If you decide to market any of those airlayers let me know. Nice to see a grown from scratch tree!
Now I have to look up Crimson Cloud, lol.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Any details on how to strike cuttings?
I've tried many times with zero success as have all other growers I've talked with so I assumed it was not possible. Now you show me it can be done!

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Lovely tree! Please could you provide any details on your successful method for rooting cuttings and airlayers of your Pauls Scarlet Hawthorn? They are said to be very tricky to root

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I take cuttings of hawthorn in early spring as soon as I see the buds begin to swell and show some activity. These are planted in pumice fines and moistened every day.
The later in spring, after leaf out, the less success I have. I also have better results taking cuttings during the waning phase of the moon as opposed to the waxing moon. Usually, if a cutting taken during the waning phase makes it through the following waxing phase I consider it a keeper.

Top Bottom