Online nursery with some rare cultivars

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ran across this online nursery the other day: https://www.garden-treasures.com/collections/all

This is not a bonsai nursery, but I thought I'd let folks here know since some of the material was interesting to me. Prices are good, though shipping is a bit more expensive than elsewhere. I received a few trees and they were healthy and larger than many other comparable places, like Mr. Maple. Pat, the owner, is super responsive and helpful.

Most exciting for me is that they have Allen's Gold. This is a rough bark maple like Arakawa, but it has yellow spring foliage. Looks very cool. Turns out Pat is the one who introduced it to the trade. It was originally discovered as a seedling, so should be good on its own roots.

He also introduced Snow Flurry, a dawn redwood with white tips on new spring foliage. I already have this one and can confirm it's quite pretty. He gave me some notes on maximizing white in the spring -- excited to try next year. Also seems ok on its own roots, though I've found it harder to root than the plain species. This is also currently available on the site.

For anyone trying to bonsai camelias, he has some unique cultivars. Apparently several he's introducing himself. He highlighted Origami Twist for cascades, Snow Sprite (I just ordered this one), Sasanqua and Elina Cascade (he said these last two are not up yet but will be soon). These are mostly dwarfs with small leaves, apparently. Snow Sprite can apparently bloom from October to April (!).

I'm also trying to grow some redbuds for spring blooms and purchased an intriguing one called Gempei. It's a chimera and has mixes of white and pink flowers. Sounds fun.

I have no affiliation with the site. Just wanted to share a new place I hadn't seen before. He said they are adding lots of new listings over the coming weeks.

I ran across this online nursery the other day: https://www.garden-treasures.com/collections/all

This is not a bonsai nursery, but I thought I'd let folks here know since some of the material was interesting to me. Prices are good, though shipping is a bit more expensive than elsewhere. I received a few trees and they were healthy and larger than many other comparable places, like Mr. Maple. Pat, the owner, is super responsive and helpful.

Most exciting for me is that they have Allen's Gold. This is a rough bark maple like Arakawa, but it has yellow spring foliage. Looks very cool. Turns out Pat is the one who introduced it to the trade. It was originally discovered as a seedling, so should be good on its own roots.

He also introduced Snow Flurry, a dawn redwood with white tips on new spring foliage. I already have this one and can confirm it's quite pretty. He gave me some notes on maximizing white in the spring -- excited to try next year. Also seems ok on its own roots, though I've found it harder to root than the plain species. This is also currently available on the site.

For anyone trying to bonsai camelias, he has some unique cultivars. Apparently several he's introducing himself. He highlighted Origami Twist for cascades, Snow Sprite (I just ordered this one), Sasanqua and Elina Cascade (he said these last two are not up yet but will be soon). These are mostly dwarfs with small leaves, apparently. Snow Sprite can apparently bloom from October to April (!).

I'm also trying to grow some redbuds for spring blooms and purchased an intriguing one called Gempei. It's a chimera and has mixes of white and pink flowers. Sounds fun.

I have no affiliation with the site. Just wanted to share a new place I hadn't seen before. He said they are adding lots of new listings over the coming weeks.
Thanks for the link. Some beautiful choices there.

Eclectic assortment of trees and plants for sure.. Personally would certainly look at the Maples. Camellias, from experience, would rather call Nuccios for these. Redbud’s are incredibly easy to order from Etsy in late winter at a cheap price and less shipping.

Did find one plant they stock that really might be interesting for a clump style bonsai for those interested on a new project.. It’s called Celestial Plum, Cercis glabra. Checked around, not many. Size (1/2 gal) and price is at market..

cheers
DSD sends

@andrewiles Thank you!!!

I just ordered two of them. You were right on the shipping though... lol.
Did you notice that he spells it differently. I suppose he would know if he's the one who introduced it. 'Alan's Gold'

Yeah, I actually talked to him to confirm Alan's Gold == Allen's Gold, esp. since he hasn't put up the description yet on his site. That's when he told me he's the one who introduced it.

Yeah, I actually talked to him to confirm Alan's Gold == Allen's Gold, esp. since he hasn't put up the description yet on his site. That's when he told me he's the one who introduced it.
I went back to watch Mr. Maple's video on it again too. Sure enough, it was the same guy. I'm actually kind of happy I missed it a few times before and had the chance to buy it from the man himself. Thank you again! :)

I want one of those snow flurry trees but I'm worried a NC tree isn't ready for a MI winter. Suppose I could put it in the garage. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom