New User here

victorengel

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post. I've seen a thread here and there from lurking over time. I've been occasionally growing bonsai for a couple decades, but don't have any that have been with me the whole time. I've worked mostly with deciduous trees, but also an occasional juniper. My favorite project was a bur oak. My latest project is a crepe myrtle that a neighbor dug up and gave away. Looking at the pictures of it lying on the ground, I thought it had potential as a bonsai, so I offered to pick it up. That was 2 or 3 weeks ago. So for now I've only done some rough pruning, cleaning out some dead wood, and removing material I knew I didn't want. Then I did another round of pruning and a small bit of wiring. The wiring is only to prevent apex domination from adding new growth only at the apex. This past weekend, I took some photos, and now I'm waiting to see where the growth will be. I like some of the movement in some of these branches, but I think quite a bit still needs to go. What I don't want to do is to create a bonsai with a fat trunk and a bunch of little branches sticking out like a pincushion.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see others' opinions of work that needs to happen. If you could take a look at my photos, I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. I realize it's difficult with 2D photos, so I took some stereo pairs and arranged them for cross-eye viewing. Here's my current set of images for this plant.

P.S. I am in Austin, Texas.

Last edited:
Those stereo images is wild! I can't get my eyes to work but I did get a hint of a 3d image, very interesting

So back to the tree, newly collected material is best left alone for at least the first year, new elongation growth powers root formation, it may not look very bonsai, but it will certainly help with the health of the tree, what you refer to as 'apical dominant hormones' (auxin) is actually also a rooting hormone that will tell the tree to produce new roots.

Only suckers from the roots should be removed, everything else should be allowed to grow while the tree gets used to its new root system.

I'm not very familiar with crepe as I only know 2 people who keep them over here in the UK where they require special care, I'm aware they are very different in your climate so hopefully someone with more species specific knowledge will be over soon to help!

In the meantime welcome to the forum!

Welcome! You will probably get more feedback if you post the images directly, rather than a link.

Cheers!

Welcome! You will probably get more feedback if you post the images directly, rather than a link.

Cheers!
OK. Maybe I'll do that at some future date. I just got a proper tool, a concave knob cutter, which I used to clean up the suckers. I had previously lopped off the larger ones, but those are now cleaned up flush to the trunk now.

Those stereo images hurt my head a bit, but they are really neat! And they contain much more depth info than a 2D image. How did you create them - is it as simple as taking photos from slightly shifted POVs?

I can't get the stereo image. It might be my eyes.

Welcome Aboard BonsaiNut! !

That’s a good start on the transplants, showing healthy new growth.

Hope these will continue to sprout to achieve better tapering sections in the future

cheers
DSD sends

Yeah the crepe looks awesome, tons of potential!
Just let it grow, it will be hard to kill!
Ive got crepe shoots that push up all over my yard from previous myrtles that are just stumps now lol

Don't worry about trimming or pruning until your secondary branches are at the thickness you want to achieve.

Drrrr - that hurt my eyes - you'll fit right in here and welcome

Wow, it just got quite hot today. I added some makeshift shade because using my IR thermometer, parts of the trunk were nearly 130 degrees F. When it's fully leafed out, this shouldn't be an issue, but it's pretty bare right now. It also probably wouldn't be an issue if the trunks/branches were vertical, but they're not, which is one reason I like this plant. The spot where it's located now is on the east side of the garage. In the pictures, I hung a black blanket on the garage door to serve as a neutral background.

Back
Top Bottom