New to growing new bonsai with Chinese Elm

Chloester

Seedling
Reaction score
California-near SF (foggiest part along the ocean)
USDA Zone
I’m new to bonsai’s but I started last year with sprouting Chinese Elm. It’s a wonderful tree, and loves the kitchen atrium where it faces south. I repotted in the Spring, and did a little bit of pruning because it outgrew the pot. But then I read afterwards that I should not have repotted or pruned until the second year. Oops. Now I’m in a conundrum because I want to do a bit of pruning. My question is, can I do a bit of pruning before next year or do I have to wait? If I can where?

Attachments

• IMG_6848.jpeg
    IMG_6848.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6849.jpeg
    IMG_6849.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 44
DON'T DO IT!

...before you add a general location to your profile.
Then we at least know if it's summer or winter where you are. That could make a difference.

DON'T DO IT!

...before you add a general location to your profile.
Then we at least know if it's summer or winter where you are. That could make a difference.
A very valid question. It’s summer…but my general location is the far west coast. Meaning my summers are generally below 70 degree (low to mid 60s the highest is 68) from June thru August. Although on occasion I may see the full blue sky and the sun during the day but so far it happened twice last month with it only high of 72 degrees. Also, some days I see the sun as it’s setting which gives my trees sun light too. But most days it is foggy making the air wet and cold. It won’t warm up until mid to late September.

Last edited:
But then I read afterwards that I should not have repotted or pruned until the second year.
I really do not understand this recommendation. I see it more often. This really is only realistic if you have no idea of plant care. But if in general you are OK taking care of plants, you know the tree is not suffering because of false care and you can work trees. I always work trees the day they come home with me.

A very valid question. It’s summer…but my general location is the far west coast. Meaning my summers are generally below 70 degree (low to mid 60s the highest is 68) from June thru August. Although on occasion I may see the full blue sky and the sun during the day but so far it happened twice last month with it only high of 72 degrees. Also, some days I see the sun as it’s setting which gives my trees sun light too. But most days it is foggy making the air wet and cold. It won’t warm up until mid to late September.
Now condense that into something bite sized, tap the menu button, then tap your username, and add it to your profile. Then we don't have to ask every time.

I really do not understand this recommendation. I see it more often. This really is only realistic if you have no idea of plant care. But if in general you are OK taking care of plants, you know the tree is not suffering because of false care and you can work trees. I always work trees the day they come home with me.
I read this recommendation in two places. But despite fertilizing, sun and water I could tell Elm was very unhappy with the pot. So, I repotted, and when I wanted to prune I read that I shouldn’t have repotted and need to wait until before next Spring to prune.

I read this recommendation in two places. But despite fertilizing, sun and water I could tell Elm was very unhappy with the pot. So, I repotted, and when I wanted to prune I read that I shouldn’t have repotted and need to wait until before next Spring to prune.
Perhaps the recommendation you heard was to wait two years on collected trees?

I just pruned my Chinese elm future shohin, cut several too-thick upper branches, no problem whatever. Takes a lot to phase these hardy trees in out mild climate!

I just pruned my Chinese elm future shohin, cut several too-thick upper branches, no problem whatever. Takes a lot to phase these hardy trees in out mild climate!
Sounds like your elm is much, much older than mine. I planted my seed, and it sprouted last July 2022. But what you said gives me some encouragement, and a little less fearful. Though I’m always watching my trees and making sure they’re happy.

Attachments

• IMG_6514.jpeg
    IMG_6514.jpeg
    13.1 KB · Views: 7
Perhaps the recommendation you heard was to wait two years on collected trees?
I think what was written was correct.

I see the recommendation to not work on newly purchased trees for at least a year after purchase float around on facebook and on another forum.The thinking is that if you do not know how to grow trees in pots, you then can be sure that it is your care, and not any actions you took that caused the demise. And that it somehow is needed as commercial trees are too weak to work on and you need to get them healthy first.

Back
Top Bottom