New to Bonsai in South Florida

florida_bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey guys,

I'm new to both bonsai and the forums so wanted to drop by and say hello. I got started about 2 months ago when a friend gave me a little juniper procumbens (see pictures) and since then have acquired "a few" more trees but based on what I've read so far on the forums you all know its more than 1 or 2 more. I live just outside of Fort Lauderdale, FL and because of this I have some tropical trees but I also have a few that would probably be better suited to some colder weather.

Enough rambling, here is a list of what I have collected so far:
3 Junipers: 1 Shimpaku (pictured below), 1 procumbens nana (pictured below) and 1 parsoni (purchased at home depot and attempted to transform the tree a little although my knowledge base and skill level is far from being able to do that unassisted)

2 Brazilian raintrees (pictured below)

2 Ficus: 1 ficus retusa and 1 ficus ginseng

1 Chinese Elm (pictured below)

I also have some cuttings. Some of which have taken root (the ficus cuttings, no surprise there) and others of which I am still waiting to see whether or not they will (cuttings from the shimpaku and chinese elm).

I have some pictures of the trees posted on an instagram account I set up to keep track of the trees as they grow and progress. The username is the same as my username here (florida_bonsai). Due to the fact that the pictures were taken with my phone they aren't great quality, but I am working on getting a nice camera so I can take some nice pictures to post for you guys.

Anyway, thats my story and I hope that I can get some help from you guys so I can start to enjoy this new hobby more than I already do.

Some of the pictures are attached below as well even though they aren't great quality. As I take more pictures I'll post some of the other trees as well.

Attachments

• Hulk.jpg
    Hulk.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Luiz.jpg
    Luiz.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 41
  • Rosina.jpg
    Rosina.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Reginald.jpg
    Reginald.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Tyrion.jpg
    Tyrion.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 38
you are in luck! there are two very active bonsai clubs in fort lauderdale: gold coast bonsai and broward bonsai. both have members of all experiences. contact info is on the bonsai society of florida's website

you are in luck! there are two very active bonsai clubs in fort lauderdale: gold coast bonsai and broward bonsai. both have members of all experiences. contact info is on the bonsai society of florida's website

Thanks cubbie! I had read a little bit about both clubs but hadn't decided which one I was going to join. It seems as though I can't make a wrong decision though!

Back
Top Bottom