Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
Last August I bought a serissa at the MBS meeting:
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/my-not-so-little-serissa.20183/

It spent it's first winter in IL (it was born and raised in FL) like a charm and yesterday (hence in May following the planing given by @Mellow Mullet ) I did it's re-pot and pruning.

The idea with this tree, based on it's roots, was some sort of negari and I promised @Cadillactaste that I'll post about the process, so there it is.

In fact the negari I was thinking about with this tree wasn't a 'thin columns of roots' like in the drawing Mellow Mullet sent me:

IMG_20150818_083536_edit.jpg
Which seem to me to be like the definition of a negari style.

It was more like a rather short flat cone of roots expanding at the base.
That's the reason why I put a (?) in the title as I don't know if this is a real negari style or not.
Anyway.

My tree, obviously, had the same idea :)
DSC04128.JPG

As we could see with its roots yesterday night just before re-poting.

To get a negari as the drawing above I was ready to untangled the roots and pot them in a tube but it was impossible so I went to my original idea of a flat cone.
I flattened the base of the roots to make the cone bigger and potted it in the pot uncle @sorce gave me, obviously for this tree, the very same day I bought the tree, but before :)

Btw: the roots really smell! (and kinda stink)

So now the idea in order to pursuit the negari style will be to remove the soil little by little as the roots get woody.
The great things with @sorce 's pot is that I could see thru and also I can cut the edge if needed for the negari process.

I did the first step of the process this afternoon by removing the dirt covering the roots already woody.
This is the front face:
DSC04133.JPG

And 2 others:

DSC04133.JPG

DSC04135.JPG

I made a bed of 1/2" of soil at the base for the new roots to colonize and there is also a little space between the rim of roots (at the base) and the edge of the pot.

Just a hair cut with that and here it is now, ready for summer:

DSC04136.JPG

To be continued...

:)

Attachments

• DSC04134.JPG
    DSC04134.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 39
Very nice! Thanks for the tag...I plan on repotting mine when I get back int the states mid June or shortly after...

Thanks and you are welcome! :)
Good luck for your own repotting.

Btw: as you could see it's not a pure negari process with the tube and all...
I was prepared :)

DSC04129.JPG

I was planing on putting some long untangled roots in the half & half carton or in several rings piled one above another of the plastic mesh @sorce gave me together with the pot.
But there was no way it would have work.
That's the first time I see serissa's roots and I may say: I'm impressed! :cool:

So technically it's not the process you asked for, sorry :oops::)

Last edited:
Oops...
In the picture of the roots I put twice the same face.
Here are the 3 views:

DSC04133.JPG DSC04134.JPG DSC04135.JPG

Nice....I hope it gets vigorous for you this year.....

Though it's a little wild...
It still makes sense.

I like it.

Sorce

Looks nice, and I see you discovered where serissa got its Latin name: serissa foetida. Not sure if I spelled that right, I need to brush up on my Latin; anyway, it means fetid, as in rotten.

Yep! :)
Actually I knew it's name was foetida (not sure neither, I did Ancient Greek, not latin ;)) and came from the sent of its roots, but now I feel it :D
Speaking of which: do you know what causes this smelt?
I was wondering if it wasn't the same compound as in willow bark as when I do willow water (by soaking some willow branches for a couple of weeks in a bucket of water) it kind of stinks the same, and that would explain why the serissa's roots are so strong...

Also: when do I know when to start to uncover the other roots?
When I see that the bottom is colonized?
By checking from time to time to see the degree of 'woodification' of the top roots?
o_O... ?

Though it's a little wild...
It still makes sense.

That's because once again I ended-up getting a Jewish Candles holder tree, like the elm I posted last year :)

Yep! :)
Actually I knew it's name was foetida (not sure neither, I did Ancient Greek, not latin ;)) and came from the sent of its roots, but now I feel it :D
Speaking of which: do you know what causes this smelt?
I was wondering if it wasn't the same compound as in willow bark as when I do willow water (by soaking some willow branches for a couple of weeks in a bucket of water) it kind of stinks the same, and that would explain why the serissa's roots are so strong...

Also: when do I know when to start to uncover the other roots?
When I see that the bottom is colonized?
By checking from time to time to see the degree of 'woodification' of the top roots?
o_O... ?

You could have actually left a couple of inches exposed now. I have not done this, but knowing how fast they grow, I would say twice a year, spring and late summe

You could have actually left a couple of inches exposed now. I have not done this, but knowing how fast they grow, I would say twice a year, spring and late summe

Thanks! :)

Yes they grow real fast and they are so though! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom