Needle size

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Hi BNuts... have a question regarding pine development. I have 4 JBP and 1 KBP... different stages of development but for all of them trunk size/shape is set and I'm working on canopy development so obviously making needles smaller is one of the top priorities. I had different level of success with 4 JBP over last couple of seasons (delayed de-candling by couple of weeks, cut fertilizer for couple of months)... but I think the presence of sacrificial branches (or lack of them) was the major driver for needles to get smaller or simply remain big (4 inches or so)... and as now the tree structures are set there will be no more sacrificial branches so time to go back to basics.
So far here are the factors that I know of that are causing needles to get smaller:
- fertilization regime
- timing of de-candling
- time in the pot
- amount of sun
- degree of ramification/amount of needles/branches
Two questions: (1) is there any other element that I missed from the list? (2) is watering regime also the factor in this conversation? I'm asking second question as one thing that I do differently is watering regime where I water my pines together with all other trees pretty much every day throughout growing season (twice a day in hottest part of Shanghai summer). Can excess amount of water increase size of the needles?

Appreciate any of your thoughts/responses.

1) yes. I think you covered it all. However, pot size is also a major factor: if roots can't grow long and thick, then the foliage can't either. Smaller containers restrict root growth and inherently reduce needle size.
2) it can be, if you're at home all day and have time to fine tune a lower water environment for your plants. This is playing with fire if you can't keep an eye on your plants the whole day. I myself try to not fiddle with that, because it's just too risky for my situation.

Thank you for answering... actually you pointed out the pot size, which actually made me realize that the tree with the best progress on needle size reduction is the one that I pushed hardest into small pot when repotting last spring. So maybe it's not actually sacrificial branches that contributed to needle size reduction but also the pot size or maybe both. Appreciate that.
On watering... unfortunately has to stay like this. I'm still working professionally so this is best I can do at the moment. Will continue focus on all other elements and see where does it get me.

I think the element missed from the list could be time time.

It can take a few years of decandling, needle pulling and shoot reduction to slow the trees enough. I think it was Ryan Neil who told me we need to pick a method and stick to it for at least 3 years to see real difference. Changing from one system to another or missing some steps can send a tree back to large shoots, long needles and unbalanced growth.
I've certainly noted that many of my trees do not conform in just a single year so just keep on keeping on.

Back
Top Bottom