Needle Blight or possible Cast?

Andre_J

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this tree a couple weeks ago and this issues has seemed to get worse as the weather has gotten older. It’s mainly on the older needles. I’m not sure what it is. Any help would be great. I’m thinking about getting some copper fungicide tonight. I also have immunox on hand but not sure if it treats this issue. IMG_1238.jpeg

What is it you’d have us see in the photo above. I see a couple needles with a few spots missing appropriate color and several tops that are yellowing a tad. If it’s the former that has you worried, don’t. If it’s the latter, that’s a root/watering issue. What soil is this in and when/how was it repotted?

There appears to be faint traces of yellow bands on some needles which could be dothostroma but it usually affects young needles, not oldest ones.
Yellowing of older needles is more likely to be nutritional or stress related. You've only had it a few weeks so won't know previous conditions or fertiliser regime.

Fungicide won't hurt so I'd probably go ahead with the fungal spray.

Also make sure it's getting some quick acting liquid fertiliser in case nutrition is the issue.

Check watering. Roots need to be damp rather than soaking wet all the time. Allow the soil mix to get almost dry (in the pot, not just surface) before watering again. Actual frequency and amount of watering can't be scheduled as needs vary depending on size of pot, soil type, local weather conditions and more. Need to check the soil moisture each day to decide whether or not to apply more water.
A light spray is not watering. Water needs to run right through the soil to help with air exchange and to properly wet the soil spaces.
If the tree has not been repotted in a while even a good heavy watering may not be enough to get water right into the root zone. During spring when water need is high the roots will suck the pot dry pretty quick.

What is it you’d have us see in the photo above. I see a couple needles with a few spots missing appropriate color and several tops that are yellowing a tad. If it’s the former that has you worried, don’t. If it’s the latter, that’s a root/watering issue. What soil is this in and when/how was it repotted?
It was repotted a couple weeks ago and it’s in Boon mix. It was in a high water retention soil when I purchase it. I was pointing out the older yellow needles as my concern.

There appears to be faint traces of yellow bands on some needles which could be dothostroma but it usually affects young needles, not oldest ones.
Yellowing of older needles is more likely to be nutritional or stress related. You've only had it a few weeks so won't know previous conditions or fertiliser regime.

Also make sure it's getting some quick acting liquid fertiliser in case nutrition is the issue.

Check watering. Roots need to be damp rather than soaking wet all the time. Allow the soil mix to get almost dry (in the pot, not just surface) before watering again. Actual frequency and amount of watering can't be scheduled as needs vary depending on size of pot, soil type, local weather conditions and more. Need to check the soil moisture each day to decide whether or not to apply more water.
A light spray is not watering. Water needs to run right through the soil to help with air exchange and to properly wet the soil spaces.
If the tree has not been repotted in a while even a good heavy watering may not be enough to get water right into the root zone. During spring when water need is high the roots will suck the pot dry pretty quick.
Thank you for your instruction and advice. It wasn’t in the best soil when I purchased it. I sprayed it with copper fungicide just to be safe last night. I will water correctly/ fertilize and update later on in the season if it gets worse.

I have some fish and kelp liquid laying around. Will this be good?

Fish and kelp fertiliser usually has good nutrient levels and is in immediately available liquid form so should be good to use.
The tree does not care where the nutrients come from or what brand you use. All the tree cares about are the nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom