Need Help With Crab Apple

albedard

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
Im very new to Bonsai and have a few trees and plants. I was given this crab apple by a friend who no longer wanted it, as i am unfamiliar with crab apples, I could use some help i a direction i should go with it.

Thanks in advance, AlIMG_0069.jpgIMG_0070.jpgIMG_0071.jpgIMG_0072.jpg

Nice Friend!!!

Crab Apples are a blast to work with and are overall very forgiving. It looks happy, but what do you know about the overall health of the tree? Reason I ask is that before I think about direction, I want to make sure the tree is healthy. In looking at future direction, the first pic looks like it would make a nice split-trunk style. The other pics, from what I can tell, makes the base look more sqaure than tapered, but that can be just the angle of the shot.

He gave up the tree in November, it seemed healthy, full of leaves with no discolor. and no infestations that i could see. thx for the reply

Nice piece of stock! The tree will need a few drastic cuts to get it on its way to becoming a bonsai. I would go for Shohin Size (8" or so) which will be the fastest way to develop it. The red lines are where the cuts should be made (in my opinion) and should be made at angles from the back side of the tree and sealed with a cut paste. The red arrow is my proposed front, with the largest trunk closest to the viewer. The green line on the left is a good place to cut, but since I can't see it in person it is more of a suggestion. This kind of drastic pruning should trigger the tree to put out lots of new shoots during the growing season, some of which you will choose to be future branches. Should be a fun project! Good luck!

Attachments

• crabapple edit.jpg
    crabapple edit.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom