My New Korean Hornbeam Exposed Root Project

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Just got this tree from Cedar Rose Nursery and I am looking for some insight from you Nutters. This is my first shot at a tree at this level so should I let it grow another year or so in the same pot? It is about 4-5 years old with solid roots. I will probably choose a stone to add to the roots at some point:

KHB1.jpg
Let me know what you think and feel free to share some of that "yoda" wisdom...:D

A worthy project to begin with!

My thoughts. The top hamper could use some TLC, and it seems like the neagari could use more roots.

If you wish to do this one might repot in a 2 gallon can.

Next take an empty 2L bottle and cut off the top and bottom and cut cylinder once vertically to size. Slip around the roots. Wire the cylinder back together and duct tape the slit shut. Fill cylinder with medium bonsai mix. 1/4”+ and chopstick. Water and wait. Likely need a 1-2 years before starting to lower the level.

This will give you time to plan, then get the top hamper in good shape. If not your thoughts, just get to work on the top hamper

Just a couple thoughts.

cheers
DSD sends

My thoughts. The top hamper could use some TLC, and it seems like the neagari could use more roots.

Next take an empty 2L bottle and cut off the top and bottom and cut cylinder once vertically to size. Slip around the roots. Wire the cylinder back together and duct tape the slit shut. Fill cylinder with medium bonsai mix. 1/4”+ and chopstick. Water and wait. Likely need a 1-2 years before starting to lower the level.

This will give you time to plan, then get the top hamper in good shape. If not your thoughts, just get to work on the top hamper

Just a couple thoughts.

cheers
DSD sends
Does the bottle turn a 2-D shape into 3-D?

I think exposed roots or ROR are better done starting early with young material.

I would probably want to make sure the tree gets established for the first year and not do too much.

Dylan is an exceptional grower but that tree just had a major stressor coming out of the ground.

Just a couple thoughts.

cheers
DSD sends
Thank you! I have time and I want the roots to have an opportunity to further develop. I can give this a try... Not sure what the top will bring so it makes sense to set it up for spring and see what develops!

I think exposed roots or ROR are better done starting early with young material.

I would probably want to make sure the tree gets established for the first year and not do too much.

Dylan is an exceptional grower but that tree just had a major stressor coming out of the ground.
Agreed! Dylan said this tree kept growing despite his neglect (I doubt that)... I am going to take it slow with this one.

Cut the top and bottom off and it becomes a cylinder. But the cylinder needs to fit around the roots, so a slot needs to be made to do this. After it’s around the tree, wire and seal the slit up. Burying the roots will not harm the tree.
You are correct. This is a difficult subject to create into a neagari and requires trimming to prevent taproot formation and hefty sub roots to overtake the design. Then wiring the roots to create an aesthetic design.

There are a couple ways to recover from this. None of them optimal like splitting the roots, which OP may have to do, and growing additional roots.
Given this is correct, one might just do minor cuts (after the leaves harden off) to the superstructure for this year.

Another, perhaps better, alternative is to air layer the tree and start over again. This has downsides, mainly adding 3-4 years of time to start developing well. However it can yield a splendid result.

As I said this would be a worthy project.

Cheers
DSD sends

Lots of good input for me to consider. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

I am looking at just keeping the exposed roots and going cascade-style with the tree. I have a few pots in mind for this:
New pot 4 hornnbeam.jpg
SRPot6.jpg
Gold rectangle 8by11.jpg

Appreciate any input...

Going to get it in this pot this weekend:
1710972687277.png

I'll see what I can do about leaving the roots exposed. They are very thick so I want to lay them over and cascade the top to the left...

Decided to pot this up in the Sataro pot and leave the roots exposed as they have been for a few years (according to Dylan).

1711053764118.jpeg

The tree is just starting to bust out so I will work on the upper half this year and see how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom