My Chinese willow is covered of bugs

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
And sorry about that: I'm not speaking of a bonsai here but of the Chinese willow I've got in my yard, but as I'm sure some of you guys will know how to help I post it anyway.

So it's a willow in my yard, it grows like weed. I have to trim it at least 3 times during the growing season and I was actually doing that when I realized it was covered of bugs:
DSC04299.JPG DSC04300.JPG

They don't look like the one I know but they behave like aphids, stuck on the branches in lines'
And they must be very sweet as I had their blood all over my hands and it was sticky and sweet as if I had squashed berries.
DSC04302.JPG

So my questions are:
1) what are they?
2) could they be a problem for us (like entering the house by the windows despite the bugs net or spawning some flies or other kind of alien-like crap?) as the tree obviously doesn't mind so I won't fumigate the freaking 15' tall tree just for fun :)

I remember as a Kid playing Tarzan in a Willow and getting covered in those aphids. They didn't kill me or the tree. Yet an Ice Storm killed that tree years later.

Look at your hand?!?! Maybe just cut the infested area off ? You know, with scissors? Sweet? What a second.....tell me you tasted one!!!
1907367173_2130130989.gif
:confused::p

Hi there,
And sorry about that: I'm not speaking of a bonsai here but of the Chinese willow I've got in my yard, but as I'm sure some of you guys will know how to help I post it anyway.

So it's a willow in my yard, it grows like weed. I have to trim it at least 3 times during the growing season and I was actually doing that when I realized it was covered of bugs: They don't look like the one I know but they behave like aphids, stuck on the branches in lines'
And they must be very sweet as I had their blood all over my hands and it was sticky and sweet as if I had squashed berries.
So my questions are:
1) what are they?
2) could they be a problem for us (like entering the house by the windows despite the bugs net or spawning some flies or other kind of alien-like crap?) as the tree obviously doesn't mind so I won't fumigate the freaking 15' tall tree just for fun :)

Problem #1) Treat it with some 3-n-1; aphids can be a problem of their own
but THEY are really just the beginning. Problem #2) Get out about 6 - 10' from it
and treat the soil for ants, Spectricide granules, and the two should keep it all
in check.
But, if not, here is the concern. Problem #3) Ants farm aphids like we raise cattle.
What the aphids excrete --shyte--is what the ants want. To them it is like honey
that can be gathered and stored, even called honeydew. It is also an excellent
growth medium for more molds, fungi, and bacteria than I could list. Which
can end up causing many problems down the road. Problem #4) Just 'cause
they won't hurt the willow does not mean that they won't hurt other stuff in
your garden. Do you really want a host just sitting there waiting for the
opportunity to infest your other plants. Good windstorm, ants wanting to
open up another "field" of cattle, brushing up against it then another plant,
any of a number of ways for this transfer to occur.
Kill'em; Kill'em ALL................!

@Leo in N E Illinois. I think we oughtta sign Alain up too!
Crazy....check....
Great guy.....check.....
Makes it out to events.....check....

Though....with talk of him possibly moving out of state, he might have to be a Nomad! Check Please!

Anywho....I cut down about half of my big "host" Apple trees.

I kind of like having them around Though, of course, I don't give a shit if they look ratty or die.

I don't bother trying to control the blow over to my tomatoes. Its hopeless.

But I check my spruce daily, and about twice a week, I get to smash something!

I pulled a bunch of what I believe are quince seedlings from the park, they have gotten at them too....

But other than that....they seem to stay with the host, which is why I don't mind having them much.

Now, them Bitch ass leafhoppers, and the few Japanese beetles I've found as of late, I bloody hate those.

I feed them to my wolf spiders, but since the J Beetles seem to always escape, it's smash on site, usually between 2 bricks as they sit on a leaf.

Introduced 6 New baby toads to the garden yesterday....hopefully they stick around!
I need some green snakes too!

Sorce

Look at your hand?!?! Maybe just cut the infested area off ? You know, with scissors? Sweet? What a second.....tell me you tasted one!!!
View attachment 111112
:confused::p

No I didn't taste it :)
It just that it was really sticky like if they were full of sugar, so I guess one says 'sweet' in this case no?

Otherwise: cutting the infested area off would mean cutting the tree off :)

@Leo in N E Illinois. I think we oughtta sign Alain up too!
Crazy....check....
Great guy.....check.....
Makes it out to events.....check....

Though....with talk of him possibly moving out of state, he might have to be a Nomad! Check Please!

Anywho....I cut down about half of my big "host" Apple trees.

I kind of like having them around Though, of course, I don't give a shit if they look ratty or die.

I don't bother trying to control the blow over to my tomatoes. Its hopeless.

But I check my spruce daily, and about twice a week, I get to smash something!

I pulled a bunch of what I believe are quince seedlings from the park, they have gotten at them too....

But other than that....they seem to stay with the host, which is why I don't mind having them much.

Now, them Bitch ass leafhoppers, and the few Japanese beetles I've found as of late, I bloody hate those.

I feed them to my wolf spiders, but since the J Beetles seem to always escape, it's smash on site, usually between 2 bricks as they sit on a leaf.

Introduced 6 New baby toads to the garden yesterday....hopefully they stick around!
I need some green snakes too!

Sorce

I didn't get it but I am in! :)

Definitely aphids.

I started getting them on my Hibiscus until I realised it was the neighbours Oleander that was totally infested like that, moving the Hibiscus helped a lot but I then discovered them all over our Jacaranda out the front.

All the advice I got was to blast the trees with water repeatedly which did work but it does seem like it is not the best option but then again the people who gave that advice all seem scared of chemicals.
I did like the one guy who hand washed it all off with soapy water if for nothing else than his persistence.

Back
Top Bottom