Meet the newest member of our family...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
He is an English Bulldog puppy. He will be 8 weeks old the 12th of August...which is the weekend we will be able to bring him home.

Meet Sebulba: SEH-BOWL-BAH (A somewhat unusual characters name from Star Wars.)
image.jpg

Doesn't he favor a Panda here...lol
image.jpg

He is quite dark in coloring still...but is starting to take on what maybe a brindle color pattern to his dark fur.
image.jpg

Most may not know...but an English bulldog pup can not be left with the mother dog. Or she can roll over and squish them. So they are placed in another location with a heat lamp to stay warm. When placed in their puppy basket...I guess it doesn't take long for ours to flop over onto his back...and get comfy. Lol
image.jpg

Reminds me of my pup marley, he's my lazy little fat man who just sleeps on his back all day. Lol very cute little guy, yours I mean.

Aaron

The issue is cash. Not enough at this point.

Do you breed English Bulldogs? Very cute. At first glance, I thought Boston Terrier.

No...there is to much behind the scenes work and heartache. They are prone to waterbabies. And...I couldn't take the loss of a pup. Or the every two hour feedings. It's a man made breed...AI's...c-sections...feedings and many hours of lost sleep. I commend all reputable breeders who make it possible for those who love the breed. We've had bulldogs for 26 years this July. Got our first two weeks after we married. Everyone we knew were having babies...we waited seven years on those. Wanted a home and things in place first.

That's a pretty big litter for an English bulldog! nice pup. I'm looking into getting another English Bull Terrier puppy right now.
Very huge litter...in 20+ years in breeding...this was the first. She actually had 8 puppies...which is unheard of. She went in early for her csection...because of her dialating. They what shoot for 63 days...and she had them earlier because of the unheard of large litter. They were very nervous for momma and the puppies with the ultrasound showing only 4. And the vet knew ones where hidden under them...but how many?

Going to have to share photos of your puppy. Good luck in the search.

Very huge litter...in 20+ years in breeding...this was the first. She actually had 8 puppies...which is unheard of. She went in early for her csection...because of her dialating. They what shoot for 63 days...and she had them earlier because of the unheard of large litter. They were very nervous for momma and the puppies with the ultrasound showing only 4. And the vet knew ones where hidden under them...but how many?

Going to have to share photos of your puppy. Good luck in the search.

My mom bred and showed Cairn terriers for 25 years. We had friends that bred and showed bulldogs. Got to know some of the issues with them (C-section births). Breeding bulldogs is a very expensive hobby.

Thanks for all the kind words...we are super excited. The breeder sends me photos and alternates with video on a daily basis. This is what our hearts needed. After losing Sarge a little over a month ago. I contacted one breeder who upon hearing our experience and having a 12 1/2 year old still in our midst. Wanting us so to take a puppy from her litter. Thing was... I panicked...it was to soon. So I contacted the breeder where our last two came from (By my husband's suggestion but he was semi retired from showing back when we got Sarge a little ober 10 yeaes ago.)He happened to have a woman who he thought highly of...and if he still bred. Would want her stud.She also had lines that tied into his own kennel. So we contacted her. She had puppies to be born shortly upon our return back into the states. Perfect! I think bonding and the anticipation of him coming home to us...is what we all needed. Especially when our senior bulldog now has off dayso more frequently. She knows this...and has went way beyond the norm with keeping us so involved. Though her policy is...no one picks a puppy until they are 10-14 days old. In case something happens...no one feels the devastation of it as personal of their own puppy's death. Which I think responsible and wise. No one got attached...we admired...were sad when we heard the loss. But it wasn't "our puppy" so to speak. Or it would have been devastating.

My mom bred and showed Cairn terriers for 25 years. We had friends that bred and showed bulldogs. Got to know some of the issues with them (C-section births). Breeding bulldogs is a very expensive hobby.

Very...many have no clue the dedication that truly goes into a reputable breeder. And add a breed as you say with issues it is a very costly endeavor.

Very...many have no clue the dedication that truly goes into a reputable breeder. And add a breed as you say with issues it is a very costly endeavor.

I'd agree. It's sad that reputable, knowledgeable breeders can get lumped in with puppy mills and other trash who are only in it for the cash.

I have tried the rescue avenue with Bull Terriers. Haven't had success with that and have decided to look for a puppy through a breeder. Rescue groups are terrific and do awesome work, but sometimes dogs are in that situation for a reason-- That's heresy in today's increasingly dog-conscious world, though.

I'd agree. It's sad that reputable, knowledgeable breeders can get lumped in with puppy mills and other trash who are only in it for the cash.

I have tried the rescue avenue with Bull Terriers. Haven't had success with that and have decided to look for a puppy through a breeder. Rescue groups are terrific and do awesome work, but sometimes dogs are in that situation for a reason-- That's heresy in today's increasingly dog-conscious world, though.
Totally agree that reputable breeders get the trash breeders who claim they are reputable give them a black eye... And though I help with rescue...and did rescue pets BK..."before kids" my house is just to busy to bring in a dog that needs time to come out of the trauma they have experienced. We have youth over nighters and just a house full...most weekends. I don't think it fare to a rescue or my own family to bring in a dog that might not work because of our home situation. As for breeders...I was disappointed in AKC's referral list for English Bulldogs. With them breeding multiple breeds in one kennel. I would refer ones to Bulldog Club of America for a reputable breeder. Do Bull Terriers have a special club? I would say there would be the place to start...OR...join a forum...learn of show breeders. Ask the right questions...and you will find a network of reputable breeders willing to work with you. That is how we got our Australian Shepherd. I wanted to learn of the breed. See if we could offer a suitable home life for it to be happy...and wanting a reputable breeder. I have tons of reputable breeder friends now...also,visit a dog show...and you can meet reputable breeders that way as well. Good luck...I think it's best to find a breeder...and establish a connection...before bringing home a pup. It establishes good communication as well.

Totally agree that reputable breeders get the trash breeders who claim they are reputable give them a black eye... And though I help with rescue...and did rescue pets BK..."before kids" my house is just to busy to bring in a dog that needs time to come out of the trauma they have experienced. We have youth over nighters and just a house full...most weekends. I don't think it fare to a rescue or my own family to bring in a dog that might not work because of our home situation. As for breeders...I was disappointed in AKC's referral list for English Bulldogs. With them breeding multiple breeds in one kennel. I would refer ones to Bulldog Club of America for a reputable breeder. Do Bull Terriers have a special club? I would say there would be the place to start...OR...join a forum...learn of show breeders. Ask the right questions...and you will find a network of reputable breeders willing to work with you. That is how we got our Australian Shepherd. I wanted to learn of the breed. See if we could offer a suitable home life for it to be happy...and wanting a reputable breeder. I have tons of reputable breeder friends now...also,visit a dog show...and you can meet reputable breeders that way as well. Good luck.ink it's best to find a breeder...and establish a connection...before bringing home a pup. It establishes good communication as well.

BTs have numerous clubs around the country. I have been in contact with a few.

I've been trying to work out some arrangements with breeders, possibly placing a pup or older dog for breeding rights, etc. Have had some success in finding a couple of dogs, but none have been right for me, so far. Might have to bite the bullet and invest in a puppy.

Visit a dog show? Funny, because I spent most of my childhood at dog shows, as I was kennel help.

The biggest show here is in the fall, so I may have to wait a few months.

Back
Top Bottom