Lavender

I've had trouble keeping both lavender and rosemary going through the winter. Have not tried again recently. Yours looks good. Really nice trunk. I don't know when the right time to cut it back more severely would be, as I did not have success with mine. Yours will look amazing if you could get foliage in close to the trunk without killing it.

I've had trouble keeping both lavender and rosemary going through the winter. Have not tried again recently. Yours looks good. Really nice trunk. I don't know when the right time to cut it back more severely would be, as I did not have success with mine. Yours will look amazing if you could get foliage in close to the trunk without killing it.
This lavender was dug out of my perennial garden in spring 2018 as it was on its way out. You can see from my GARDEN post I recently ripped out my perennial garden and started over, which is another story. I think putting it in bonsai soil saved it. First year I just let it grow. This year I just cut the spent flowers off and pruned it back to the shape its in now a few weeks ago. I'm playing this by ear as I don't really know any proven pruning regime. I'll put it in my unheated garage for the winter as I did last year and see what happens. I'll let the force be with me. ;)

Yours is pretty awesome. They tend not to be long lived in your climate or mine. They usually melt out in wet winters after a few years. I actually had a couple melt out this wet summer but they were in heavy soil. I am sure you are right, the bonsai soil saved it.
I really like the composition with the unusual pot you have used.

Yours looks different from mine. The one I received from Wigerts have more round leaves. Different varieties?

Yours looks different from mine. The one I received from Wigerts have more round leaves. Different varieties?
I had both English and French lavender in my garden before I ripped it out. This one is English (angustafolia) and the flowers are a bit more on the purple side.
Here's a link that might help you.

I had both English and French lavender in my garden before I ripped it out. This one is English (angustafolia) and the flowers are a bit more on the purple side.
Here's a link that might help you.
Haha thank you for this interesting read. It is funny how the names and actual native countries are so tangled.

Haha thank you for this interesting read. It is funny how the names and actual native countries are so tangled.
Ah yes......the French and the English.....will they ever get along!! Two of my favorite cultures....they just wouldn't be the same without each other.

ooh nice plant. HOw is it doing today? Did it pass the first winter for you?

Back
Top Bottom