Juniperus Procumbens Brown/dull?

Ashes

Seed
Reaction score
So I’ve been having a hard time really getting ahold of caring for my bonsai. I’ve had him for like 5 months and this last month he just is a bit dull and seems a bit brittle in a few areas but not all? I’m unsure what to do. I’ve never really had a plant before I saw this one and I thought I’d take a shot at it. Obviously I’m failing but please help me I could use some tips on a watering routine. He sits in my window doesn’t get direct sunlight but some

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 58
That left branch looks like death. It looks like other small branches are going along for the ride, but there are some bits that seem to be healthy green.

Overwatering, or more specifically drowning the roots, is a common cause, but will make everything go to that deathly grey-green that will eventually be brown. The fact that you've got some healthy green colored foliage suggest that maybe you wiggled things back and forth too much and 'cracked' branches while trying to style it.

Regardless, sitting in your window is not good. Junipers need all the sunlight of outdoors. Procumbens do well as landscape plants in USDA zone 5 - IOW, pretty much regardless of where you are, the plant should be outside year 'round - on the ground with bark mulch, say, piled over the pot during the coldest times of the winters where you are.

So I’ve been having a hard time really getting ahold of caring for my bonsai. I’ve had him for like 5 months and this last month he just is a bit dull and seems a bit brittle in a few areas but not all? I’m unsure what to do. I’ve never really had a plant before I saw this one and I thought I’d take a shot at it. Obviously I’m failing but please help me I could use some tips on a watering routine. He sits in my window doesn’t get direct sunlight but some
This problem is 100% from the plant being indoors. Junipers are outdoor plants and will slow die indoors. As cool as it looks on your windowsill, It will be much happier outdoors. Junipers like a lot of sunlight

Yeah, your hard time is about to get easier!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

This problem is 100% from the plant being indoors. Junipers are outdoor plants and will slow die indoors. As cool as it looks on your windowsill, It will be much happier outdoors. Junipers like a lot of sunlight
Thank you very much I moved it in because it recently snowed for the first time where I live in a long time and it’s been cold. But definitely will be moving it outside in a good area!
That left branch looks like death. It looks like other small branches are going along for the ride, but there are some bits that seem to be healthy green.

Overwatering, or more specifically drowning the roots, is a common cause, but will make everything go to that deathly grey-green that will eventually be brown. The fact that you've got some healthy green colored foliage suggest that maybe you wiggled things back and forth too much and 'cracked' branches while trying to style it.

Regardless, sitting in your window is not good. Junipers need all the sunlight of outdoors. Procumbens do well as landscape plants in USDA zone 5 - IOW, pretty much regardless of where you are, the plant should be outside year 'round - on the ground with bark mulch, say, piled over the pot during the coldest times of the winters where you are.
thank you very much. I will definitely Be moving it outside!!

My juniper procumbens is outside, in the back yard, simply set on the ground. This winter we have had 3 weeks of zero to sub-zero F temperatures. Our coldest night was -9 F, or -22 C. In previous winters my Junipers, like Shimpaku and procumbens have survived -17 F, which is -27 C. They are very cold hardy if allowed to adapt to the cold weather by being outside all autumn and into winter.

The steadily colder night temperatures are what acclimate a juniper to the cold. After 6 weeks of autumn, they can handle anything winter throws at them.

Being indoors is more a problem for junipers than being outdoors. They really do better with a cold winter rest.

Be careful about suddenong moving it outside now that it has been inside for a while. It will not be very cold hardy and you will get freeze damage. Protect it at night and when freezing weather is expected by putting in a garage or shed. etc. If oyu love in an apartment then you could stick it in a cooler to protect from freezing overnight.

Back
Top Bottom