Juniperus brevifolia

Reaction score
This is a needle species endemic to the Azores and is threatened by habitat loss (IUCN). As such, they are grown, along with other endemics, by the regional forestry agency for conservation and reforestation purposes. I was brought two juvenile (10-15 cm height, pencil thick) junipers from the regional nursery.

They are in regular plant soil in plastic 'containers'. So they need repotting into a better and larger pot as well as better soil as soon as possible. Is this the correct time of the year to do so?

I have already tried two previously (end of summer) but they soon died. Not sure this was due to season or me removing most of the 'bad' soil around the roots. I think I will keep part of that soil for now and do not mess much with the roots. What do you think?

cheers

G

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
We have here J.oxycedrus (typical needle Mediterranean juniper , very close relative to yours) and people here gave up on him after years of frustrations. Simply no success in planting it in a pot.

Dalmat

Shohin
Reaction score
He said they're already in containers.
Yes, I'm aware but those are most probably from collected seeds on location as he sad for reforestation and intended to plant in the ground that's one story
but pot manipulation is another. Believe me those kind of junipers simply don't want to become a bonsai.:rolleyes:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes, I'm aware but those are most probably from collected seeds on location as he sad for reforestation and intended to plant in the ground that's one story
but pot manipulation is another. Believe me those kind of junipers simply don't want to become a bonsai.:rolleyes:
Ah, gotcha!

Reaction score
Oh well, I didn't know these were difficult ones. I shall try since I got them anyways. I might put one in a pot and plant the other one in the ground somewhere (don't have a garden myself). I'll let you know about the progression. It may take a while though. I think these are slow growers...

Yes I think they were sown from seeds collected and they are meant to be planted in the ground. They are produced in large numbers for reforestation.

Reaction score
So I gave one away (which was planted on the ground) and repotted this one late January after starting to see some growing tips. It's been doin fine since but it still has a long time to go. I'm planning to go for a literati, I think

The tiny needles do not hurt like in other junipers. They have a blue tint to them. The trunk flakes and peals off naturally and it's of a reddish colour underneath.

Some pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
Thought I would update this.

Lot's of growth this year and it is still putting some new growth, albeit at a lower rate.

I thinned the tree a little bit (didn't touch the top) last October to allow the air and sun to get through. I was starting to see some browning in the interior shoots. I think it helped. I also wired 2 or 3 branches just to test how the tree responds. New species and there's virtually no information on these so I need to test.

I water it nearly everyday, unless it is raining some. In contrast to my deciduous, every time I water this I also water the canopy. I think they really like water. It makes sense since, after all, they are part of the Azores cloud forest.

All in all, it's been a really nice experiment, even it never turns out to be a bonsai.

IMG_0011.JPG

Reaction score
I've put some small bends already. I was going slowly cause it's been reported last January. Also, I am still not sure where I want to take this so I have no idea what bends I should do

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, the tree is a grower. Very similar to what we call common juniper.

Yes the foliage looks realy similair to my communis

I've put some small bends already. I was going slowly cause it's been reported last January. Also, I am still not sure where I want to take this so I have no idea what bends I should do

Then now is a good time to think about the future style you like
Informal upright etc then when you decided twist the trunk :)

Reaction score
Been thinking about this. I think it will take my entire life time to get it to thicken the trunk with my current conditions so I think I have only two options: forget about 'bonsaing' it and keep it as house plant, or go for a slender / more literatish look.

I think I'll go for the latter and may try to find a thicker specimen somewhere else.

Anyways, I've been reading about junipers but cannot find a definitive answer as to when should structural work be done. I understand that this should be done slowly, but when is it supposed to be a good time to take some branches out? And wire? It's been repotted 1 year ago, has grown strong so it should be ok to have some work done this year. Is winter a good time for this or should I wait for early summer after spring growth hardens?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pruning and selecting shoots and leaves:
You can remove small branches on juniper anytime during the year. Though most people prune thicker branches during the growing season (recovery time is faster), some Japanese growers suggest you prune them during dormancy.

...This comes from the Juniper book and now make a choice.

I think you are safe to do it in your climate from fall to winter.

I do some structural pruning on my common junies right in the fall. From their beginnings I have cut off some unwanted branches leaving stubs, shortened some branches for taper, removed "forks" also leaving stubs...with following wiring and no heavy bending. One thing I make sure to follow is leaving growing tips of remaining foliage intact till at least next summer.

Reaction score
Thanks Peter. I think I'm going to try some work now. My winter is, comparatively to most, very mild. No freezing temperatures. My juniper always has growing tips so I think it does not go into full dormancy, although the growth rate has slowed some now.

So heavy bending and structural pruning should be done separately in time right? I think I'm going to bend some and wire and restrict pruning to a minimum. Later ( in 6 or 12 months, depending on growth) I can start slowly cutting back.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So heavy bending and structural pruning should be done separately in time right? I think I'm going to bend some and wire and restrict pruning to a minimum. Later ( in 6 or 12 months, depending on growth) I can start slowly cutting back.
That's the way I would go. But I'd do some branch selection removing unwanted branches. You're welcome.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh and I should probably have said growth tips instead of growing tips but it doesn't change anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom