Jacaranda tree (3.5 years) trimming advice

GunGoose

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Jacaranda tree that I have been growing from a seed. It is about 3.5 years old and I am a little unsure what I should be doing to it. So far the tree has only grown upward and not branched out at all. Is there a way to encourage it to branch? I read that trimming it might get it to branch, but I am a little hesitant to start hacking away at it. I do not mind a larger tree (however right now the tree seems to tall for its pot and looks kinda silly.) I have also been told that the small pot encourages growth and to let it continue growing upward and that will thicken it up eventually.

Any advice?

I have a attached 2 pictures. The first is a more recent one taken this winter so most of the leaves have fallen off. The second is from earlier in the summer when it had more leaves.

Attachments

• image0 (28).jpeg
    image0 (28).jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image1 (16).jpeg
    image1 (16).jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 69

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most trees think they are competing for the fastest to the top of the forest so they naturally grow up and don't waste much effort on branches until they are tall. Pruning is the way to get some branching.
Fortunately it is hard to kill a jacaranda by pruning. Even if you cut right back to the bare trunk it will just grow new buds.
Often just a light tip prune might just give 1 or 2 new shoots where pruning further back can often give 4 or more new shoots.

All I can do is tell you what is most likely. If you're not happy to trim it that's up to you.

Letting it grow more will indeed thicken the trunk faster. We often put developing trees into a larger pot so they will grow even more to get a thicker trunk even quicker then finally chop low to get branching.
Usually a smaller pot slows growth compared to a bigger pot. Planted in the ground where roots have even more space makes even faster growth and thickening.

GunGoose

Sapling
Reaction score
Interesting! Thanks for the advice. I might do a little trimming, but I will need to think more on it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi, I have a Jacaranda tree that I have been growing from a seed. It is about 3.5 years old and I am a little unsure what I should be doing to it. So far the tree has only grown upward and not branched out at all. Is there a way to encourage it to branch? I read that trimming it might get it to branch, but I am a little hesitant to start hacking away at it. I do not mind a larger tree (however right now the tree seems to tall for its pot and looks kinda silly.) I have also been told that the small pot encourages growth and to let it continue growing upward and that will thicken it up eventually.

Any advice?

I have a attached 2 pictures. The first is a more recent one taken this winter so most of the leaves have fallen off. The second is from earlier in the summer when it had more leaves.
Where is your location? A 3.5 yr old Jacaranda should be a lot bigger than yours. If you have been keeping it entirely indoor, that would be one reason. Jacaranda needs to be outdoor with a lot of sun to grow.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Where is your location? A 3.5 yr old Jacaranda should be a lot bigger than yours. If you have been keeping it entirely indoor, that would be one reason. Jacaranda needs to be outdoor with a lot of sun to grow.
Wanted to point this out as well, a bit worried about the health of this tree, had to cut mine back every year so far as it grew about 6 feet within 12 months.

GunGoose

Sapling
Reaction score
I used to have it outside in a sunny area for the first year and a half (maybe 2). I then moved to an apartment that had nowhere I could place it outside, so I have kept it in doors next to a window and bought a lamp for it. This plant has always seem to grow somewhat slow too me. I am not really sure what to do about it. Originally I was told I had it in a pot that was too big and that the soil was staying damp for too long. I switch it to a smaller pot and then it seemed to grow a little faster.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I used to have it outside in a sunny area for the first year and a half (maybe 2). I then moved to an apartment that had nowhere I could place it outside, so I have kept it in doors next to a window and bought a lamp for it. This plant has always seem to grow somewhat slow too me. I am not really sure what to do about it. Originally I was told I had it in a pot that was too big and that the soil was staying damp for too long. I switch it to a smaller pot and then it seemed to grow a little faster.
What is your location? Your temperatures will affect the tree substantially. Jacaranda's are subtropical trees, so ideally they require warm temperature throughout the year and do not need a dormant period, but they can endure lower temperatures and protect themselves by dropping their leaves.
If would protect from winter temperatures, but in spring after the first frost it needs to go outside

GunGoose

Sapling
Reaction score
What is your location? Your temperatures will affect the tree substantially. Jacaranda's are subtropical trees, so ideally they require warm temperature throughout the year and do not need a dormant period, but they can endure lower temperatures and protect themselves by dropping their leaves.
If would protect from winter temperatures, but in spring after the first frost it needs to go outside
I live in Washington. I think my hardness zone is 8a. I read that more tropical plants like jacaranda trees are okay indoors. I have a bird of paradise next too it which seems to be doing alright. I might be able to find a place outside if I really need to.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I lived in Southern California, jacarandas were everywhere in landscape - including my community park. At least there they were deciduous trees. They were the first to drop their leaves in the fall, and the last to bud out in the spring, but for several weeks in June they were the most beautiful things in the landscape.

Check out this thread where people share pruning experience:

GunGoose

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks! Me tree seems to drop most of its leaves in the winter and then it seems to come back in the spring. The trunk of my tree seems small to other Jacaranda trees that are about the same age. Should I be worrying about?

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice! Thanks! Me tree seems to drop most of its leaves in the winter and then it seems to come back in the spring. The trunk of my tree seems small to other Jacaranda trees that are about the same age. Should I be worrying about?
Just remember that because something is ok indoors it doesn't mean it is the best conditions for it. Here where i stay the conditions for them are perfect, they grow everywhere, because of this they are classified a invasive species. In winter they don't really drop their leaves here, so my experience is going to differ to yours.
In summary, if you've grown this inside for the last 3.5 years, i would not be too concerned about it

JOELO

Seedling
Reaction score
This tree is almost 3 years from seed, chopped it several times, grows like a weed, gorgeous flowery smell like roses, soft wood, very flexible but grows so fast it can be challenging to keep up with. Just sprouted 100 more. Kept mostly indoors in Colorado, under lights, but full sun outside as soon as it hits 50° and up. Slowly work it into shape. Watch for wire marks, it's really soft this wood

Attachments

• 20240219_083235.jpg
    20240219_083235.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 17096804062615749036775383716891.jpg
    17096804062615749036775383716891.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 31

JOELO

Seedling
Reaction score
Also, you need to get your soil/water/air under control. That plant looks really stretched and thin. The soil may not be draining well or too much watering, but it looks like you might have some root rot going on. Need more air, and light. I'd pull the plant out and put it in an OVERSIZED pot, for most of its training life, then you can decide which stylized pot goes with the tree. Let it dry out almost completely between watering. Good luck, keep going!

JOELO

Seedling
Reaction score
See now that wire has been on there for less than 2 weeks, and its already biting. During different times of the year depending on where exactly you are, your trees will swell, so watch that too. Also, you can clearly see it buds back, and will from old wood as well.

Attachments

• 17096811131215851413927352720975.jpg
    17096811131215851413927352720975.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 31

JOELO

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to share

GunGoose

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I think I might repot it in a larger pot.

GunGoose

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I did end up repoting my tree (a couple weeks ago). I did have 1 more question. Is there a specific type of soil I should be using for the tree? I have been using the eastern leaf organic blend bonsai soil : https://easternleaf.com/organic-blend-bonsai-soil-mix-p/110930-01.htm . Would this soil be fine? Or would something else be better?

Attachments

• image0 (32).jpeg
    image0 (32).jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom