Starting a Jacaranda

Cilrah

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
For some reason i decided to start my first bonsai with a small Jacaranda tree. This will be my first and I’m kind of stuck on how to start. Anyone with experience that can help me out with this little tropical? I’ve attached a picture of my little tree. Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Attachments

• 20230813_092920.jpeg
    20230813_092920.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 18
It probably doesn't matter much what species the tree is. We use similar techniques on all trees.
First up, decide what you want from your potensai. There's usually 2 broad possibilities:
1. I really want a 'bonsai' in a bonsai pot and don't really care about age features or character - Plant it in a bonsai pot and keep trimming as it grows. Wire the trunk and put some bends in if you like that look. In a couple of years you should have a straight, skinny trunk with a small canopy of branches and foliage. Your tree will still be thin in 10 years or more.

2. I really want a thick trunk bonsai that looks old and has real character - This takes many years. The quickest way is to plant it into a larger pot and allow it to grow. Let it grow tall and chop back every few years. Continue the grow and chop cycle until the trunk reaches desired thickness and has nice bends from the regular cut and grow. Now begin to cut more regularly to promote branching. Allow branches to grow long then chop in cycles similar to the trunk, gradually reducing grow time to promote more and more branching. Eventually reduce roots and transfer to a bonsai pot. Depending on your skill, conditions and species you could develop a good bonsai in 5-15 years.

Many good bonsai are not grown up from seedlings. They are often cut down from older, larger trees.

Have fun and good luck with your jacaranda.

It probably doesn't matter much what species the tree is. We use similar techniques on all trees.
First up, decide what you want from your potensai. There's usually 2 broad possibilities:
1. I really want a 'bonsai' in a bonsai pot and don't really care about age features or character - Plant it in a bonsai pot and keep trimming as it grows. Wire the trunk and put some bends in if you like that look. In a couple of years you should have a straight, skinny trunk with a small canopy of branches and foliage. Your tree will still be thin in 10 years or more.

2. I really want a thick trunk bonsai that looks old and has real character - This takes many years. The quickest way is to plant it into a larger pot and allow it to grow. Let it grow tall and chop back every few years. Continue the grow and chop cycle until the trunk reaches desired thickness and has nice bends from the regular cut and grow. Now begin to cut more regularly to promote branching. Allow branches to grow long then chop in cycles similar to the trunk, gradually reducing grow time to promote more and more branching. Eventually reduce roots and transfer to a bonsai pot. Depending on your skill, conditions and species you could develop a good bonsai in 5-15 years.

Many good bonsai are not grown up from seedlings. They are often cut down from older, larger trees.

Have fun and good luck with your jacaranda.
Thanks Shibui. I think #2 is more of the style I’d prefer. I might be better off looking for an older tree with a thicker trunk. I feel I’m starting a little late in life having to wait 10-15 years for the tree i want. This would put me at 75-80 yrs old 😳 I really like the look of Hanoki Cypress and can find some good candidates here is the Pacific Northwest that are considered bonsai starters.

I will work at cutting back and thickening the branches on the jacaranda though. I have a grandson who would love to continue my work. Thanks again for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom