Is this right???? : the cutters seat nicely with a slight offset yet the stop-post is gapped by 1/8"

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
It is a new Koyo masters grade 14-inch root cutter--Koyo is not the most premium but I was hoping for a usable tool. I would assume the stop has to contact at closure.XLG root cutter.jpg

These type tools have to bypass or they crush. The question is, does it close to the stop?

Looks like it wants to close to that left edge. The distance seems equal.

Sorce

These type tools have to bypass or they crush. The question is, does it close to the stop?
no--its fully closed in the picture and is being stopped by the cutting jaws.

When cutting a thick root, and it gives, the follow thru might be hard on the jaws. Even breakage.

OK the question is, should the teeth come together and barely bypass then the stop and handle should contact--right??

None of my tools have ever touched the stop.

The cutting edges are supposed to bypass.

I think I have that same toothbrush :D

I don't know, but It would make more sense for it to hit the stop when closed IMO

Might it be that the stop is intended to mean 'stop using this tool' when the handle hits it?

Presumably one can resharpen this tool. Doing so will remove part of the hardened cutting steel.
Remove 'all' the hardened steel --> hit the stop.
Might this be what it is about and why it shouldn't contact the opposite handle?

I sent an inquiry to Stone Lantern which is the supplier but have not heard back

Still no response from Stone Lantern despite 2 emails. Irritated.

Crust, I think you're getting upset for nothing. My tools have stops, but the stop isn't really functional. That is, when they're closed, there's a gap between the stop and the opposite handle.

I think the stop comes into play like this: you know how when you're cutting something rather large (perhaps too large for the tool - we've all done it! Lol) and the tool kinda stops cutting, so you squeeze harder and harder? Then suddenly SNAP! It cuts through quickly? The stop is there to keep the two cutting edges from passing by so far they get misshaped. They are supposed to bypass a little. Just not a lot.

I have only good experiences with stoneLantern. They can be waiting for the response from a manufacturer.

If the stop met the handle too tightly how would we use tools after sharpening(s)?
File down the stop.

Back
Top Bottom