Haydite. your take

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Last time I talked with them they would sell you individual bags sifted to under 1/4” but as I said that was at least 5 years ago. So is the 50 bag pallet sifted to the smaller fraction or is it the standard 3/8” size? Maybe we could buy a pallet and distribute it at the December show.
From Chuck Friedrich @ Stalite:

Yes we have washed CA# 9 for Bonsai, we have available in 40 lb 0.75 cuft bags, 50 bags per pallet. Wadesboro NC
$7.50 per bag = $375.00 per pallet plus freight & tax or pick it up there.

For reference, CA#9 means 3/32" - 3/16"

CA#9 sample photo. The product comes in these white landscape poly bags, not the retail plastic bags.

CA-9 sample.jpg

Note - at different locations you can also buy super sacks or dump truck loads. (No pick-up loads)

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never used it since I've been able to source lava, pumice and akadama without much issue.

I know lava has been harder to come by the last couple of years. If I can't get lava, I'll double up on pumice

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Atlantic landscape supply on hwy 16 used to be the local distributor of by the bag and bulk here in charlotte. Sadly, they closed, the owner retired.
The price I quoted was directly from Stalite (the manufacturer) for pickup at their Wadesboro, NC, facility that has the ability to bag and palletize product - minimum one pallet. If you want to buy bulk, you can get it from Gold Hill, NC for $70/ cubic yard plus tax plus freight... or pick up in a dump truck or trailer (no pickup trucks). Gold Hill also has the ability to fill super sacks 2300 lbs (approx 1.5 cubic yards) $208 without a pallet, $228 with a pallet plus tax.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The price I quoted was directly from Stalite (the manufacturer) for pickup at their Wadesboro, NC, facility that has the ability to bag and palletize product - minimum one pallet. If you want to buy bulk, you can get it from Gold Hill, NC for $70/ cubic yard plus tax plus freight... or pick up in a dump truck or trailer (no pickup trucks). Gold Hill also has the ability to fill super sacks 2300 lbs (approx 1.5 cubic yards) $208 without a pallet, $228 with a pallet plus tax.
I sift the commercial bags and anything bigger than 1/4” goes in the garden. We have moles and voles that are a constant issue. And now that I am recycling my old soil I have pretty much reached steady state with respect to permatil and pumice. So all I need to do now is adjust the composted pine bark content. Does Brad at BLC stock the sifted version?

Top Bottom