Good nurseries around Miami?

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
I'm going to Miami for Thanksgiving and I would like to take this opportunity to try to purchase an exotic that I won't find easily in Illinois.

If possible I would like a Brazilian rain tree or some species of fancy ficus like a willow leaves.

Do you guys know the address of a(several) good nursery around Miami? (Miami FL of course, not OH)

I'm not looking for a bonsai, my budget won't allow it anyway, just a nice pre-bonsai material not necessarily grows for specific bonsai purpose.

There is a home depot (3030 Sw 8th St) you could buy a shovel ;) I'm not from America, so i don't have the slightest clue for a bonsai garden / shop, good luck fining a shop / tree :D

Sounds like a fun time.
Take photos so I can drool also.

Miami Tropical Bonsai in Miami

Wigerts Bonsai is in North Fort Myers
No idea how far that is from Miami.

I don't have the address for either, nor their schedule (they may be closed part of thanksgiving weekend).

Google them and find out.

Last edited:
Miami Tropical Bonsai in Miami

Wigerts Bonsai is in North Fort Myers
No idea how far that is from Miami.

I don't have the address for either, nor their schedule (they may be closed part of thanksgiving weekend).

Google them and find out.

Thanks!
Fort Myers is kind of far from Miami (on the W coast) but Miami Tropical Bonsai is right on the road to the Keys and we'll be going to the Keys so sweet! :)

Although according to their website it seems that they sale more real bonsai, way to expensive for me, than pre-bonsai.
Sounds nice anyway!

Also I spend one week there so no Thanksgiving week end closure! ;)

Last edited:
If they are like most places, they have WAY more stock than what is posted on the Web page.

I bought an inexpensive ficus from them 2 years ago.

Dragon Tree Bonsai in Palm City has a great selection of BRT and other tropical and subtropical pre-bonsai. Their prices are great.

Dragon Tree Bonsai in Palm City has a great selection of BRT and other tropical and subtropical pre-bonsai. Their prices are great.

Thanks a lot! :)
Google says 1:30h from where we'll be, that's negotiable ;)

Dragon Tree has a smaller selection but better prices and more raw material imo then Miami Tropical Bonsai, MTB had a lot of import S trees last time I was there, and really I wasn't that impressed. It's been about 4 years since I was at either...

Wigert's is about 2.5-3 hours from Miami without bad traffic. Getting out of Miami/off I95 is the issue. The selection is great, and I think prices are fair. I'm lucky to be 20 minutes away from the nursery.

And you go right past it on your way to or from Miami on I95

I know the I95 pretty well, did it at least 6 time from Newfoundland to Miami, both way, that will be a shorter trip ;)

Dragon Tree has a smaller selection but better prices and more raw material imo then Miami Tropical Bonsai, MTB had a lot of import S trees last time I was there, and really I wasn't that impressed. It's been about 4 years since I was at either...

Wigert's is about 2.5-3 hours from Miami without bad traffic. Getting out of Miami/off I95 is the issue. The selection is great, and I think prices are fair. I'm lucky to be 20 minutes away from the nursery.

Wigert was too far anyway, 6h of round trip to - may be - pick up a tree, this proposition won't be even close to negotiable :)
I checked both the Dragon tree and Miami Tropical Bonsai website and that's it, I picked Dragon tree, furthermore I like the name (most certainly because I'm a dragon myself, in Chinese astrology :) )

Back
Top Bottom