Glaucus Satsuki Azalea farm

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks. I might have some more 'Hilda Niblett' seedlings outside. But I have at least one new one crossed with 'Hanatsuzuri'. It is a superior landscape outdoor garden shrub to most Japanese satsuki I have, in my climate. So definitely worth growing if you are into large azalea flowers with colour variation.

The seeding actually doesn't have that round a leaf. But the flower reminds me a lot of 'Asahi no Hikari'. It is hard to capture the colour and the shades of pink and tiny dots that are on the petal/
But here is a foliage picture with a small Kozan on the left as reference:

1682831727701.png

Once this one is a good size and with 20+ flowers, it may be very attractive.

Note how much larger the flower is compared to the 'Kozan':

1682831934931.png

Seeing this azalea, I can very much relate to mr. Gatrell's comments about hybridizing with the Chugai satsuki:
And getting 200+ new varieties similar to this, and 'Hilda Niblett' and somehow deciding which one to register. So one down, 199 more to go.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A little tutorial & example on how to cross-polinate azaleas.

First off, selecting the parents. In this example, I cross-pollinate 'Girard's Fuchsia' with pollen from 'Kisshoten'.

If you are just starting out and do not have a specific goal, any cross between azaleas you like will work for you.
However, I am trying to be a bit more advanced. So I collected the one of the most hardy American evergreen azaleas, 'Girard's Fuchsia'.
(For picture see below)
This plant the product of a lifelong of breeding my mr Girard, located in zone 5 Ohio, and is heavy on the R.yedonese var poukhanense blood. I assume that selected for it's very dark purple colour and strong blotch.
For me it is quite evergreen and does not have much autumn foliage colour.
However, if one studies the results of other people who have used 'Girard's Fuchsia' one learns that 'Girard's Fuchsia' has an ace up it's sleave when it comes down to plant breeding.
It turns out that Girard's Fuchsia has produced very pale coloured seedlings, like 'Sandy Dandy' and '‘Isabella Maria'. Checking the parents and offspring of the azaleas you are using as parents can give you some hints on how your seedlings could look.
The trick of 'Girard's Fuchsia' is likely that purple azalea and hybrids poukhanense contain the most different types of colour pigments. While a red azalea only has 1 or 2 types of red pigments. So 'turning off' some of the pigments of a purple azalea can give different effects, like these buff seedlings. Additionally, co-pigmentation plays a role.
One of my goals is to get pale flowers that have very strong blotches. So 'Girard's Fuchsia' may be good, while also making the satsuki much more cold hardy. Hopefully.

1683388884068.png
'Kisshoten' is the other parent, a very new satsuki with a somewhat small flower (only a bit larger than Kozan). It has a very near flower shape and it's red colour is quite deep. Additionally, the blotch is quite strong for a satsuki. Finally, it has some good patterning/variegation. While very new, the Japanese breeders have already used 'Kisshoten' in creating several new varieties. Foliage-wise, it is pretty standard for a satsuki azalea.

I do not expect any seedlings that are just like 'Kisshoten', but more winter hardy. I do expect some dark purple seedlings with an intermediate flower shape. And a few buff/pale/bicoloured seedlings. The split could be 50/50.
Likely, none will be pure red and likely none will be white.

Note that the satsuki 'Kisshoten' normally flowers a couple weeks later than 'Girard's Fuchsia'. Therefore, I moved the 'Kisshoten' indoors at room temperature and under LED lights a while ago. Generally, one should move the late blooming azalea indoors about 1.5 to 2 months before you expect the early flowering azalea to start to bloom. I have had no issues with lower humidity when moving plants indoors. But you need artificial lights.
Note that for some varieties, not all flowers will produce pollen. If the pollen parent has a dark flower, the white pollen will be easy to see as two dots. If the flower is white, you may not be able to see any sighs of pollen. Usually a flower needs to mature a few days after opening for the pollen to be more ready to come out.

Example of close up of the anthers of an azalea:
1683389570214.png
you can see that there are two channels on each anther. You can never be sure how many pollen is inside until you try this stamen on the stigma of the other flower.

Source: http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag...roscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artdec10/bj-azalea.html

Once you
One can start to make a cross when the seed parent starts to open it's flowers. Usually, the first flowers of a plant that open are not properly formed.
Usually, it is best to pollinate a flower on the first or second day after it has opened. If rain is predicted on the days you want to make the cross, or the day after, one can use an umbrella or something to protect the flowers from becoming wet.
Some people say it is best to pollinate a flower in the morning. However, for me then the flowers are still damp. So I usually do it in the evening, as that is also more convenient.

So onto 'Girard's Fuchsia', first, one selects a good properly formed flower. The style should have the right shape.
1683385992343.png

First, check if the stigma seems clean of pollen. Second, observe if the stigma is shiny. If it has a very dull look, then maybe it is not quite receptive for pollen yet.
One can see this one also has some pollen, so one has to be a little careful that the pollen doesn't stick on your hands, or on the stigma.
Only when I do a cross where the pollen parent is essential, I will remove the petals of an unopened flower.
Right now, I did not see any bumblebees in flowers yet. But they will be there in a few weeks. Usually, they do not seem able to pollinate any flowers.
So their contamination is generally not an issue. But if it is paramount, you can open a fresh flower and be sure no bumblebee ever touched it. Once you remove the petals, the bumblebees will also not visit it.
I hear people sometimes cover up the stigma after pollinating, but I see no need.

First, one removes the petals and the stamen. Then take the stamen of your pollen parent and apply it to the stigma.
1683387967162.png
(I wish I could hold the stamen in my right hand, touch the stigma, drag out some pollen strings, all while holding and operating my phone with my left, and making it center focus at exactly at the right moment, and then push the screen to take the picture. This was the best I could do.)

Ideally, once you touch the stigma with the tip of the anthers, sticky strings of pollen should already come out, allowing you to 'paint' it all over the stigma.
If not, you can tap the stamen with your finger while holding it by the filament in your other hand. Then check if pollen is coming more to the surface.
Sometimes, it just isn't working because there is little pollen and it is not very sticky, but instead quite brittle.
For some varieties, it is very challenging to use them as pollen parents. Others are extremely easy.

1683386472934.png

You can see the stigma is now completely white and fully covered with pollen from 'Kisshoten'.

Now, I label the flower with the pollen parent label. I use nylon fishing string, dutch tape and a permanent marker. I cut pieces of string, loop them, tape them down at the bottom, and label the tape.
1683388171662.png

My code for 'Kisshoten is 'ki'. This way, whne I collect the seed pod in october, I can label the envelope with both the seed and pollen parent and I can always keep the seedlings labeled the same way.

I put the loom over the ovule, make sure it sits at the base of the fruit, all the way down to the stem/pedicel. Then I tighten the loop somewhat. Make sure pulling on the scotch tape while tightening doesn't wipe out the text.
1683388292091.png

One can also remove the other flowers right next to the flower you pollinated. Many kurume have 2 or 3 flower buds at a terminal shoot with 2 to 3 flowers in each flower bud.
Satsuki have less flowers. It may be that removing the other flowers helps the fruit develop.

One can pollinate the flower with more fresh pollen 2 or 3 days later. Especially if there is some rain. It is always nice to have many many seeds come from a seed pod once you crack it open.
Nothing more annoying than a seed pod where only 10-20 seeds come out, and you have more chaff/debris than seeds.

And that is all work for now. In three to four weeks there should be signs that this seed pod is taking/getting larger, while the other non-pollinated fruit bodies start to shrivel up.
At that time you can check if the label is properly positioned and tightened.

keyfen06

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you typically pollinate more than one flower just in case one of the flowers fails to go to seed?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice write up!

You have laid down the process in a way most anyone wanting to pollinate an azalea can make a good job of it. Your experience with doing this for years really . All you really need now is a couple extra hands! 😉.

cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you typically pollinate more than one flower just in case one of the flowers fails to go to seed?

Having a few more seed pods is always nice. For some crosses I guess to just raise a dozen seedlings, one seed pod is more than enough. But you never know for sure how many seeds will be in a seed pod. It could be several hundred, so that cam give you 50 to 100 seedlings to that you can bring to flower, if all goes well. But it may be that your seed parent isn't a good seed producer. So in that case, if the plant has some size, you can try 3 to 6 flowers, just to be sure.
If you just want to raise a few seeds to try it out, pollinating 1 or 2 flowers and having 3 or 4 crosses in total is more than enough to play around with.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These two whips, imported 2021 and 2022 from Japan, and currently growing indoors under LEDs , are about to go absolutely crazy with buds all over the stem:
1684349321840.png

It is hard to capture with the camera because it is just 20+ tiny green dots all over the whip and it wants to focus on the Mylar on the background.
1684349426662.png

Ideally, these grow into long shoots with a flower bud come end 2023. And then in late summer 2024, there will be a lot of cuttings to be harvested off of these.
For now, these are pollen donors for the earlier blooming varieties outside in the garden.
But these whips seem to like it indoors. I will try and see how long I can keep them indoors.

There is always an issue with moving a plant from indoors to the outside. Often, they shut down into autumn mode, gaining red colour on their leaves.
It may be that I need to wait until temperatures don't drop below 10C during nighttime. But here in the Netherlands, that may be only until late June. There is a 4C night predicted here for Friday.

Example of seedlings grown indoors that have been outdoors for about a week, but show autumn colours:
1684349923594.png

Usually, this (partial) shutdown from moving them outdoors seems to resolve itself mid summer.
But, it is not ideal and not sure how to resolve. Let's wait and see how this seedling tray looks mid August.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wondering if you are planning on bending any of these, or leave these as stock plants.

cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nope. I believe I tried to bend a few of them back in 2021, when I just got them. I added some movement, but not very satisfactory. Probably, a Japanese expert would have been a bit more brave.
After I removed the wire when it was about to cut in, it veered back a bit. So it didn't achieve much. These were meant as stock plants. But down the road if you can have movement, it would never hurt so I did give it a try (and did snap the apex out of one of them because I bend too far).

These do need sticks when growing outdoors for support, though, to help them stabilize against the wind.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
1684640828328.png

This is my 'discard pile' and it is currently growing. These are seedlings whose flowers are not above average.
It should grow to 200 plants or so by the end of the flowering season. I need to make space.
Then, these will be composted. Unless I can find another home for them.
I cannot give them away for free because I don't want to undermine the prices of professionals and people importing satsuki from Japan.
So these will be 4 euro a piece.

1684640766705.png
1684640955078.png

Currently, a lot are kurume x satsuki hybrids with monocoloured flowers. But there will be a bunch of white's that are 100% added as well.
Together with some 'lost label'-plants.

These can ship within EU only.

Somehow, I will have to to be able to learn how to throw hundreds of plants in the compost bin.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you describe again how many you started with, at which stages you cull for what criteria and how much?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not sure what exactly you are asking. I don't count how many seeds I sow, how many germinate, how many I plant out in individual trays, how many I culled.
I do have some numbers, but if I plaster them right here not sure what use that would be.

To give one example, I have a lot of seedlings that are now flowering that came from a cross between 'Muneira' en 'Hekisui'.
I sowed these in 2021. And I know that back then I had one large tray (approx 100 seedlings) and one medium tray (approx 50 seedlings) of these.
And I know that in 2023, I have 63 Muneira x Hekisui seedlings in individual pots (mostly 9x9cm but not all). When I transplanted these out of their trays and into individual pots, I kept the largest ones and a few small ones that looked above average in terms of dark green leaves.
I also know all of these are seedlings have solid coloured flowers, with red and hot pink. No white, salmon, purple, pale and no bicolour seedlings. If I do get one that is outside that norm, I know it is a mutant, not a reshuffling of genes.

The ones I keep of this specific cross are the ones that are:
1) Largest plant
2) Brightest red or pinks
3) Flower shape 'looks good'

It is hard to be more scientific. Well, not hard. But give me a greenhouse, a BSc student and maybe a technician/gardener. and I could be more scientific, of course. I just don't want to.

Because for the specific Muneira x Hekisui cross, the end criteria will be plant habit and hardiness, it is hard to judge them on that right now. For that, you need larger plants, in a garden, and compare them across several years.

Does that answer your question?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You got the gist of it right 👍

Moraito

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I might be interested in some of the ones you have in that "discard pile" depending on total costs including shipping. I write to you a PM

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Two selections of two crosses I made back in 2012:
1686329765363.png
1686329848980.png
1686329820134.png
1686329899080.png
Codename Ae14, a cross between 'Alexander' and 'Hekisui'.
I wish it was a bit more true red. In reality, the colour is a tiny bit better than in these pictures.
But it is pretty good. It starts off a bit slow in the season, but that should also avoid it getting damaged by late spring frosts.
This should be excellent for rock gardens. I think it improves a bit upon the parent 'Alexander'.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Next one is We1, a cross between 'Wintergreen' and 'Hekisui'.
1686330312558.png
1686330352341.png
1686330390811.png
1686330412771.png

Very good foliage, especially in terms of wintergreenness (the parent's name meant something) and large flowers with a very bright pink, leaning to purplish.
Sometimes, there are white centers.

I will be producing a couple of plants of both the coming years.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Back in 2012, I bought a 'Hilda Niblett' which is a sporting Robin Hill azalea with strong satsuki influence. Luckily for me, it retained both pale and darker pink flowers.

1687090990207.png
1687091202730.png

As you can see, many flowers are solid dark pink. Branches that produce these type of flowers will never produce variegated flowers. the pale pink with blotch is lost on these branches.
I have taken cuttings from this plant, which produces both types:
1687091758537.png
1687091914531.png

Note the one dark flower on the cutting with the pale & blotched flowers.

So since the mother plant is getting quite large, it grows very well in my climate, it finally needed some pruning.
Therefore, I decided to prune most of the solid dark pink branches.
1687092126509.png

1687092186982.png
Final result. Still some dark pink branches left, but the balance should be much better next year.
Also, maybe the sun will be kinder on the flowers next year.
Concluding, by pruning out these dark pink branches, which only produce one type of flower, I am improving the variation of flowers long term. The 'good' branches will become larger, dominant dark pink branches are gone, and potentially I can grow entirely new branches with good flowers from the core/base of the plant.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The flower season here is closing.

Another azalea I raised from seed back in 2012, Ae22:
1687530502888.png

1687531273788.png

As you can see with Ae14, We1 and Ae22, I had little luck getting variegated flowers. This is because the dominance of colour.
Therefore, a second generation was needed.

I crossed Ae22 with the famous satsuki Kozan. Neither Kozan nur Ae22 have variegated flowers. So it was an experiment to see if variegation could be produced by two parents that are both a carrier of a variegated genotype, but lack the variagated phenotype itself.
One result of Ae22 x Kozan is the following flower:
1687531747579.png

So indeed, Ae22 can produce pale coloured variegated seedlings. For Kozan, this was already known. I am still not sure if Kozan provides the paleness and Ae22 the variegation, but that seems most likely.
Just one flower on a small plant. But it shows good potential. As well as for the sibling seedlings that did not flower yet.

Another cross I made is Kangiten with We1. Kangiten is white with red variegated satsuki. I had a few seedlings of this cross flower, but maybe this flower if the best so far:

1687533077723.png

So a heavily variegated flower with a strong red colour. This seedling is very much like Kangiten.
The solid pink colour of We1 was not dominant in this seedling. Since We1 is the pollen parent and there is no clear plant habit signs from We1, one may doubt if the pollen parent is correct.
But, look at the stamen count. The flower has 10 stamens, is the maximum and not found in Rhododendron indicum. This trait is almost certainly inherited from inherited from We1, which also has a 8 to 10 stamen count (and origincally comes from R.nakaharae species).

Last edited:
Top Bottom