Dwarf Alberta Spruce - Christmas tree 5 years later

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks!

Bonsai is not for the lazy or impatient - I think I just said something profound

I'm in VA 7A and I havn't had any issues at all really - since I've had it I've only repotted it once, when I first got it, that spring. It was potted in almost a block of solid clay, so I just removed it and put it in this pot and it's been there ever since. I didn't remove any roots either. I also remove a bunch of branches at the same time that I knew I didn't want. Then I just fertilized all year till late fall with organics. The third year I de-wired it and just left it alone, no trimming or anything. In January/February is the only time I work on it. I thin the branches and cut back to where I need, wire, it then just let it grow freely the rest of the year - no pinching, nothing.
I want to ask you a broad and generalized question regarding the "thinning out" of branches. When removing foliage/needles from a Spruce, does that mean you are pinching off needles along the length of the branch until the portion of the end of the branch where your needle bundles/pads are? I understand pruning branches to buds to get ramification and to replace foliage bits for pad perpetuation, so does this apply for DAS and Bird's Nest Spruce and other spruces?

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I want to ask you a broad and generalized question regarding the "thinning out" of branches. When removing foliage/needles from a Spruce, does that mean you are pinching off needles along the length of the branch until the portion of the end of the branch where your needle bundles/pads are? I understand pruning branches to buds to get ramification and to replace foliage bits for pad perpetuation, so does this apply for DAS and Bird's Nest Spruce and other spruces?

I usually remove old needles and any that are out of proportion from the current foliage as needles can get shorter. It's kinda something that come with practice to know what needs and doesn't need to be removed, close to pads. Also I usually never pinch the new growth in spring UNLESS I see a branch growing too strong compared to the rest. I also treat all my spruce the same - I have three species and everyone ones gets the same treatment

Gollum169

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
This tree has a lot of character. I like it! I plan to watch your video after work.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
This tree has a lot of character. I like it! I plan to watch your video after work.

Cool thanks! I plan on doing an update to it when it starts pushing growth

Top Bottom