Does this maple have a chance?

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. A couple weeks ago there was some people in the woods behind my house running a chain saw. Well my son and I went for a walk yesterday and came upon the spot where the saw was being run. The whole lot if land is full I've beautiful maple trees. Hundreds of years old. Well who was running the saw took huge gouges out of trees that have to be 200 years old. They also chopped 20 or 30 saplings and also a few trees about 10 years old or so. Well there was a tree cut right down the middle and was looking pretty rough. So my son and I cut it and dug up the roots and planted it in a 20 gallon pot. I know that digs should only be done in the spring. So my question is. Does this tree have a chance? I really felt bad when I walked back there and seen what they did. And I really wanted to at least save one of the trees they cut for absolutely no reason. Does anyone have any advice on taking a tree so late in the season? Ide appreciate some feed back.
-thanks

Hey everyone. A couple weeks ago there was some people in the woods behind my house running a chain saw. Well my son and I went for a walk yesterday and came upon the spot where the saw was being run. The whole lot if land is full I've beautiful maple trees. Hundreds of years old. Well who was running the saw took huge gouges out of trees that have to be 200 years old. They also chopped 20 or 30 saplings and also a few trees about 10 years old or so. Well there was a tree cut right down the middle and was looking pretty rough. So my son and I cut it and dug up the roots and planted it in a 20 gallon pot. I know that digs should only be done in the spring. So my question is. Does this tree have a chance? I really felt bad when I walked back there and seen what they did. And I really wanted to at least save one of the trees they cut for absolutely no reason. Does anyone have any advice on taking a tree so late in the season? Ide appreciate some feed back.
-thanks
Keep it in the shade for any chance of survival.

I agree with @Stickroot , give it full shade and make sure to keep damp, don't keep it to moist it has no leaves so its not using any water.

I hope it pulls through for you!

Aaron

Maybe it was practice.
Or maybe it was someone just having fun.
Are there powerlines near the trees?
Ya but if your going to practice, practice on one two or three trees. Don't go through just taking huge knots out of a bunch of trees. And after killing these old trees turning and taking out the saplings that may replace them. No there's no power lines back there but kids play back there. I'll eventually have to go back and take them all the way down before anything falls from them and hurts someone. It's just a shame

Maybe it was practice.
Or maybe it was someone just having fun.
Are there powerlines near the trees?
Ya but if your going to practice, practice on one two or three trees. Don't go through just taking huge knots out of a bunch of trees. And after killing these old trees turning and taking out the saplings that may replace them. No there's no power lines back there but kids play back there. I'll eventually have to go back and take them all the way down before anything falls from them and hurts someone. It's just a shame
Not much to see. It's a cut and roots. No branches just trunk

. Don't go through just taking huge knots out of a bunch of trees.
Who's property is it? If it's federal,state or yours they were stealing as trespassing. Plus they can be made to pay for any trees they don't have permission if it's one of those. If it's federal or state or someone else's property then you need permission to knock them down or you will be just as bad as the other guys.
Sounds like they were cutting the burl out of them.
Money in those. But if the trees aren't girdle or cut down they will heal.
The saplings will grow bacK from the stumps. The big stumps will sprout out too. It will take around 200 years to replace them though.
Killing trees is my profession. Not just a hobby.
200 years is a long time for a maple. Parts start falling off.
Be very mindful of rot in the center if you get to take them down.
Some trees fight back.

Sounds like burl harvesting to me too. There is $$ in them and trees heal all the time from far more punishment than that. The object isn't to kill the tree. It's quite the opposite. Maples regenerate pretty easily.

This all depends on who owns the land and the trees. This sounds harsh, but if they're not your property, they're someone else's. Sympathy doesn't cancel out property laws. You may have done more damage by digging the tree up than by simply letting it be.

Sounds like burl harvesting to me too. There is $$ in them and trees heal all the time from far more punishment than that. The object isn't to kill the tree. It's quite the opposite. Maples regenerate pretty easily.

This all depends on who owns the land and the trees. This sounds harsh, but if they're not your property, they're someone else's. Sympathy doesn't cancel out property laws. You may have done more damage by digging the tree up than by simply letting it be.
No it's not my property it's the states. And it lines the whole back of my property. I'm going to loose a hundred yards of old trees for a kid with a saw. Now I don't have a problem with ppl who cut trees for a living and I'm not looki g for sympathy. I don't think any of you would enjoy the whole line of your property taken out just to try out a chain saw. As for the tree I dug up. I tried man. I'm new to this shit and thought I was helping it. I can't believe the response I got to this. ... The whole back of my property is lined with very old trees. I think it's wrong to just go and cut a least 15 one hundred year old trees cutting 3/4 of the way through em for nothing. Wild life live there, my kids play out there. And honestly I was asking about the tree I dug. Not how everyone feels about them cutting the trees. I was explaining the situation. If y'all think it's cool to do it. Thats on you. And when I talked to the state Forrest service they also didn't take likely to it either. Well I'm a bad boy for digging. Ok. I got it. Thanks for your feedback.

Maples are pretty tough. All the ones I've dug ended up coming home bare root and most survived. I plant them in a mix of potting soil & napa dry, place in a shady area and keep damp.

Any chance we can see some pictures of what went down? I, for one, would like to see what actually happened. A pic of the tree you collected might help ID it and let you know if it's even worth trying to save.

And honestly I was asking about the tree I dug. Not how everyone feels about them cutting the trees. I was explaining the situation.

I understand your point you want to make, but you provided far more information about the chopping of the trees story than you provided for the tree you wanted to discuss. Naturally, the conversation went where you were taking it.

If you want to talk about the tree, providing some photos from various angles, showing the soil you have it in, and the placement of the tree relative to sun is a good way to get the conversation back to your specific tree. Without that, there's not much else people can say about your collected tree.

:)

Did you make a plaster cast of the chainsaw path? Maybe you could post that and find out who did this....

I'm glad that you tried to (and very well may) save one of the smaller butchered trees. I am glad to hear that generally, the practice of burl harvesting does not cause serious harm to a tree.

I don't know where you are located, but Acer saccharum and Acer rubrum have the potential to make decent larger bonsai (24"+)

As a teenager, my cousins and I took down a huge old black walnut tree on my uncle's land "just for fun". Afterwards, as it just lay there wilting, I felt so guilty for killing such a magnificent tree. What a waste. Only tree I've cut down since is a camphor, good riddance. I am trying a camphor bonsai from a sapling though.

Back
Top Bottom