Difference between Straight and Bent Scissors

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see two different forms of bonsai scissors: ones with straight beams between the handle and the hinge and ones with bent beams. What's the difference between the two? Why would one choose one over the other? Are there cons to either one?

Mad Tabby

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
I see two different forms of bonsai scissors: ones with straight beams between the handle and the hinge and ones with bent beams. What's the difference between the two? Why would one choose one over the other? Are there cons to either one?
It’s just the angle you want to get at. Both have their benefits. Sometimes trying to prune, you can’t get the angle you want without another branch getting in the way.

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s just the angle you want to get at. Both have their benefits. Sometimes trying to prune, you can’t get the angle you want without another branch getting in the way.
Your response makes me wonder if you're thinking of the same thing as what I'm talking about. Here's an example of the two forms. They're the same angle (straight), but one's kinda lumpy between the handle and blades.

I can't tell why I'd choose one over the other.
Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 9.25.42 PM.png

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Your response makes me wonder if you're thinking of the same thing as what I'm talking about. Here's an example of the two forms. They're the same angle (straight), but one's kinda lumpy between the handle and blades.

View attachment 544011
the wider scissors are stronger due to better leverage, and will cut small branches with ease. the smaller ones are better for reaching into tight places.

99 Mile Creek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

View attachment 544011
On the other hand, if you need scissors for leverage with whatever you are cutting, you're using the wrong tool -- pruners for those tough branches.

I would go for the slim design. I can see them sliding into a tighter spot, and they look better in my opinion. Both are very nice.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
When I read the title of this topic I thought you meant a scissor with a curved blade as shown in the picture below.

As you can see you also have scissors with a curved handle and/or a curved blade.

goods_543_2.gif

Top Bottom