Developing a Flat-top Bald Cypress

Paul, -Nice work, I love the root buttress. Is it the lighting in the photo, I'm seeing the bark looks light grey?

This will be a good reference when I work mine soon, thanks for posting it.

Thanks for the positive feedback Judy.

Yes, the bark on this bald cypress has a silvery-grey tinge to it.

The mature trees in the area I collected the seedling showed the same bark characteristics. That's what prompted me to collect the seedling. I was hoping it would develop this color bark.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Regards,
Paul

Beautiful work guys.

Quick question... How hardy are Bald Cypress?

Thanks John, I appreciate the compliments.

Here's a photo of the tree after some trimming and wiring.

View attachment 29834

Cheers,
Paul

That's a good looking cypress. I'd like to see the apex branching left a little wider in comparison to the lower branching, but that's my personal preference. Nice work.

I collected this tree as a bare stump in May of 08. Since then, I have been experimenting with creating a natural looking flat-top design. This is the result of my latest work.

[video=youtube_share;UYEda2b4xMM]http://youtu.be/UYEda2b4xMM[/video]

i would be interested in hearing your comments and feedback.
John

That's a good transformation in 4 years, John. Nice work.

The hollow should not heal and fill in. Cypress do rot despite what some think. Even with the drain hole you will get some deterioration. The wounds will heal and roll inward but should not fill your void. Of course, recarving and making the hollow larger over time will help you achieve your goal, regardless.

One thing to consider. As the leads grow from your carved apex transition you will get some inward growth, but also some outward growth. This may give you swelling and flair leading to inverse taper. In that relatively short stretch of trunk near the apex you have several thick branches drawing lots of energy. So you have the potential to develop some unwanted girth. Carving down further and removing some trunk mass later in development may be necessary. Or, you can let it grow and develop naturally and not totally impose our ideals on it.

All that said, this is a good tree and nice work John.

That's a good transformation in 4 years, John. Nice work.

The hollow should not heal and fill in. Cypress do rot despite what some think. Even with the drain hole you will get some deterioration. The wounds will heal and roll inward but should not fill your void. Of course, recarving and making the hollow larger over time will help you achieve your goal, regardless.

One thing to consider. As the leads grow from your carved apex transition you will get some inward growth, but also some outward growth. This may give you swelling and flair leading to inverse taper. In that relatively short stretch of trunk near the apex you have several thick branches drawing lots of energy. So you have the potential to develop some unwanted girth. Carving down further and removing some trunk mass later in development may be necessary. Or, you can let it grow and develop naturally and not totally impose our ideals on it.

All that said, this is a good tree and nice work John.

Thanks Don! That is good feedback!!
John

That's a good looking cypress. I'd like to see the apex branching left a little wider in comparison to the lower branching, but that's my personal preference. Nice work.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Don.

I appreciate the feedback very much.

You are spot on with your suggestion. I am still working on developing the structure of the apex and ultimately the tree will have a wider crown. I figure maybe two more growing seasons and it will be where I want it.

Cheers,
Paul

Mine did well planted to beds and with cold-house shelter in Henniker NH (zone 5-ish)

Thanks coppice, I looked them up too. The USDA zones them down to 4. I might try one sometime...they should do fine in my cold greenhouse. I'm able to keep zone 5 trees like Japanese Maples just fine.

Great job on this tree John. Maybe I will get to see it in Ashville.
I will be following its development as inspiration on a pond cypress that I aquired in Ashville last October.
It was good to meet and talk with you there. You and your group had a stunning display (WOW) and I know it was a lot of work, but well worth it.:cool:

I do have a question that you might be able to help me with. My pond cypress has growth poping now, is it too late to repot?

Thanks,

Bob O

Finally getting around to updating this thread...here is a photo of the tree in October at the Carolina Bonsai Expo. (Thanks to Sam for the photo!)
small_28.jpg

to add a little perspective...
P1010698.JPG

Do you keep the roots under water normally withy our Cypress, or do you keep it in a regular bonsai pot?

How many Bald Cypress do you have John? Where do you collect them? I know they are all over the swamps around here...
What a fantastic display! You guys deserved the ribbon, and there were some great looking trees there....

If I could have just ONE of those roots on mine:)...just can't be done in a pot I guess. What a great tree! Thanks for the videos as well...great watching:)
Best,
Jonathan

Beautiful work guys.

Quick question... How hardy are Bald Cypress?

Actually from what I understand from doing research for another project (The MABA list) the Bald Cypress of the Southern Swamps are the surviving members of an ancient species that was common all the way up to Upper Michigan. The advance of the glaciers pushed them out and now, I understand that there is an isolated native stand of them in Illinois. They are pretty winter hardy. They are grown as yard trees up here in Michigan and seem to do fine.

They are pretty winter hardy. They are grown as yard trees up here in Michigan and seem to do fine.

Yep, I've seen them planted along the lake front in Chicago, and think Dirr lists them as cold hardy to usda zone 4. Beautiful cypress, John...I consider myself lucky to have seen this one in person.

This tree has a fantastic base. No doubt, you have a vision that its coming into nicely, but have you ever been tempted to reduce the overall height by about 1/2? For me, the extreme height reduces the presence of the great base.

I agree but also find it a shame to chop this down now having developed that nice branching and well done carving.

Since John have multiple BCs, I think this can stay like this otherwise, I think it could be better shorter.

John, ever considered reducing the number of main branches at the chop area? There are 4 right now and maybe reducing it to 3 (or 2) will give you a better tree in the future. Maybe replace one with a lower branch?

Do you keep the roots under water normally withy our Cypress, or do you keep it in a regular bonsai pot?

My opinion on this has changed over the years. I use to suggest that they be kept in water, or even pots without holes, in the growing season. This particular tree has never had that treatment and I think is evidence enough that it is an unnecessary practice with BC. I have done side by side tests with collected material and trees kept in water don't seem to grow as well as when they get plenty of water but there is still a good and frequent air exchange in the soil....nothing scientific, just my observations.

On the other side, I still keep newly collected material wetter and often in water through the first growing season.

John

I agree but also find it a shame to chop this down now having developed that nice branching and well done carving.

Since John have multiple BCs, I think this can stay like this otherwise, I think it could be better shorter.

John, ever considered reducing the number of main branches at the chop area? There are 4 right now and maybe reducing it to 3 (or 2) will give you a better tree in the future. Maybe replace one with a lower branch?

To be honest I have never been tempted to cut this or any of my other "tall" cypress down. I am interested in creating natural looking trees not something that looks like a super sumo bonsai. When you are dealing with material this large and your goal is natural there is no way around tall trees. This tree for example...can you imagine a 2' tall tree with 22" root spread...I have yet to see anything even close to that in nature. As it is now, the height to root base ratio is well under the 6 to 1 guideline already....depending on where you measure it is somewhere between 3 and 4 to 1....most natural cypress are in the 10-20 to 1 region already!!

As far as the branches are concerned...There are a total of 7 branches on the tree. 3 apex branches and 4 downward moving branches...one of which leaves from the base of an apex branch. After lots of consideration, I have purposely left it at this number as it is the most pleasing to me.

John

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom