Dead Dogwood?

99 Mile Creek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I go to Lowes often to check for damaged trees(usually get 50% off for 'distress') and found a white dogwood today. The only reason I purchased it was because of a little bit of green pushing through the base.
When I cut it down, I realized it was deader than I thought. I ended up cutting it all the way back to what appears to be a graft mark.

My question is, do they graft cornejo blanco on the same species or something else? Whatever is beneath the graft, I am now going to get. I'm curious if anyone has any intimate knowledge of dealing with these guys. Thanks.image0 (1).jpeg

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know about grafting onto dogwood, but is your pic post cutback or before?

If it's post cutback it looks like the majority of the trunk is in process of dying.

99 Mile Creek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't know about grafting onto dogwood, but is your pic post cutback or before?

If it's post cutback it looks like the majority of the trunk is in process of dying.
I just picked it up. Took me less than five minutes to chop it back and put in new substrate. It was in very, very saturated soil. Not sure if that was the killer or not. Roots look great though. Lots of feeders.

Gran_Puma

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the roots still look good it should bud out on the healthy portion of the trunk, just don't be surprised to cut it further once it finally pops. My dogwood likes to push buds on the trunk throughout the year.

Top Bottom