Crabapple progression, critique and opinions thread

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've posted random pictures of this crab in other threads but I wanted to start one that is for documenting it's development.

This is my oldest malus, about five years in my possession, source of several props and the first tree I executed a drastic chop on. This spring it flowered and fruited for the first time since I began working on it. If there's interest I have older pictures to show the steps taken to this point but for now I'll start with where we're at as of today.

I have two pictures. One displaying the front chosen during repotting and the other an angle I think I like much better. That just happens to be essentially the literal back of the tree.

PSX_20230602_102718.jpg

The above.is the front I've gone with since I started working on the tree.

PSX_20230602_102539.jpg
This is the potential new front. It definitely hides the chop a bit better and I think I like the trunk lines this presents as well as the root base. As always, I appreciate everyone's time and will be grateful for any criticism or opinions. Thank you.

Also, should I look into removing the fruit considering it was repotted this season? It's been consistently vigorous but I know all to well the limit doesn't always come with a lot of warning.

Nice tree - crabs are fun to play with!

If it was mine...

- You have some really interesting exposed roots there. Next potting I'd either expose more and more and make that a prominent feature, or I'd trim them all nearly off and establish a more traditional 'single plane' nebari. Healthy crabs can handle a major root removal early spring. You could keep just the upper perimeter roots and 'chop' the lower trunk at soil level and get it into a much much shallower pot. Either way, I feel like it's kind of 'in between' right now. Me...I'd go for pulling it higher and higher in the pot and accentuate it.
- How big do you want the final image? That will dictate your next moves. I'd re-chop and go short. Show off that crazy root setup.

Terrible ms paint sketch :D

Screenshot 2023-06-02 115906.png

Nice tree - crabs are fun to play with!

If it was mine...

- You have some really interesting exposed roots there. Next potting I'd either expose more and more and make that a prominent feature, or I'd trim them all nearly off and establish a more traditional 'single plane' nebari. Healthy crabs can handle a major root removal early spring. You could keep just the upper perimeter roots and 'chop' the lower trunk at soil level and get it into a much much shallower pot. Either way, I feel like it's kind of 'in between' right now. Me...I'd go for pulling it higher and higher in the pot and accentuate it.
- How big do you want the final image? That will dictate your next moves. I'd re-chop and go short. Show off that crazy root setup.

Terrible ms paint sketch :D

View attachment 491649
Thank you! And I absolutely appreciate you taking the time for that ms paint sketch! I am also partial to the roots I like the juxtaposition of harsh gnarled roots with the elegance from the flowers. Definitely some food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom