Collected Hawthorn History

Repotted today; it's growing like it normally does in late March. Crazy weather.
The new pot is an old Yamaaki, and is 2" shallower than the last pot. The roots got a BIG haircut to fit in that shallow pot!
Hawthorn 2012.jpgHawthorn 2012 Roots.jpg

I love your ume, but hands down, this is my favorite BVF tree. The fact that you took it form nothing to here is a testament to your skills, and patience.
I like the new pot. Do you ever collect for others? I would love to have a hawthorn of this level, but have nothing of this caliber around here.
Just asking....:)

I love your ume, but hands down, this is my favorite BVF tree. The fact that you took it form nothing to here is a testament to your skills, and patience.
I like the new pot. Do you ever collect for others? I would love to have a hawthorn of this level, but have nothing of this caliber around here.
Just asking....:)

Thanks, although the ume should eclipse this after 10 years of work.

On collecting for others...I've been asked, and try to get out collecting every year. To now it's been more like collecting with others, and sold/traded to others. I will be collecting a little over the next few weeks, and may try to find a few extra for those interested in developing something from a decent trunk. One site we found and will be digging on the 10th or 17th is loaded with American beech and hornbeam, but didn't see any hawthorns. But I do have another spot that does...

hmm... wanna trade for anything from China? ;)

by the way, it's redundant, but I agree - this Hawthorn is looking great, and I really like the new pot!

Last edited:
I will be collecting a little over the next few weeks, and may try to find a few extra for those interested in developing something from a decent trunk. One site we found and will be digging on the 10th or 17th is loaded with American beech and hornbeam, but didn't see any hawthorns. But I do have another spot that does...
How long would it take for me to get to you from Atlanta? I can either bring coffee and doughnuts for pre-digging enthusiasm or a case of your favorite beer for post-digging reflection:cool:...your choice.

2.5 hours from the top of the perimeter. Don't know if it's the 10th or 17th yet, we (AL Bonsai Society) are arranging it with a developer who owns the land on the Cahaba river, PM me if you're interested, you're welcome to come. I found one hornbeam I mentally tagged...here is the area, river is hard to see, down on the left.

Oh, and Starbucks Sumatra is the coffee of choice...:)

Last edited:
hmm... wanna trade for anything from China? ;)

by the way, it's redundant, but I agree - this Hawthorn is looking great, and I really like the new pot!

Gee, I don't have anything from China...;)

Thanks Daygan!

Read new posts and re-read the entire thread this morning. Having seen this tree in person and being able to follow your time line and actually seeing photos of the progression is a special privilege.

WOW

Reults like this tree (really your entire collection) is why so many of us in ABS look to you for guidance and advice.

Thanks Ron, I can only say that that "guidance and advice" is at least priced right...:). Can't wait to see your Muranaka purchases in person!

Brian it is magnificent !

How I wish I could be able to see such trees in person and not only in pictures!

hats off

Update 4/17/13: hippie haw

Repotted in late February, and allowed to grow freely for the next several weeks. I'll probably let it grow for another week or two to pump up and to see if that encourages the tree to shed some bark. It's held onto its bark for the most part since '08 or '09, and the exfoliating mosaic look is pretty cool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 345
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 368
Wow!! That's a heck of a spring push! Now I know why you said they were thirsty trees. It looks very healthy, Brian. Just wondering, how many times each year do you wack this one back? Please post pictures after the trim.

Dave

I'm guessing this is a Parsley Hawthorne? Does it have thorns on new shoots?

Thanks, it's a little hip hawthorn. Dave, yes, it's thirsty! It gets a haircut probably 2-3 times a year. After the first trim, it slows down quite a bit. This year it's really going nuts.

I don't often step out too much from the maple forum. Maybe I should more often! This tree looks magnificent Brian! What a great progression with fantastic results! Kudos to you!

Back
Top Bottom