Coastal Redwood - Pot to Grow Box

Mr. Watanabe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this coastal redwood at the Mammoth Auction earlier this year. The guy I bought it from was really cool. He told me the tree was on a turtleback, didn't know what the hell that was at the time and I still don't. Is the knuckle the tree is growing on considered a "turtleback"? It also came in Jim Gremel pot which was a bonus 😎.

I started making this homemade pine grow box (interior dimensions = 16.5" x 16.5" x 4.75" or approx. 5 gallons) a few weeks ago and just got back home to finish it off and transfer my redwood. I used pine to save $. In hindsight it think for less warping and better, robust construction use redwood planks... we'll see.

The bottom floats - the thought was for easier removal of the tree later. The final version added the black mesh as the white mesh holes were too big. The original design had only used the white gutter filter (I saw these at home depot for cheap and bought it was a good idea at the time). Was going to use two offset layers but found the blacklnesh and put it over the white mesh. I took a torch to the sides to get the dark effect.

The tree was root bound it the pot and I didn't trim too much as I didn't want to shock it to much. I loosened the outside roots a little and gave it a trim. 1st layer is pumice and small layer of perlite then my soil on top of that.

In hindsight:
- I was think this box would last may be 4-5 years. I may be lucky if it last 2-3 years.
- The pine warped after the first watering so I had the clamp and add more screws. I think a shipping strap that wrapped around the perimeter would've been the best design, but your work with what you got.
- Every reference to coastal redwood soil is 50-100% Akadama... I used something else🤔. I'll monitor the health soil conditions as time passes.

Attachments

• IMG_8379.jpeg
    IMG_8379.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8538.jpeg
    IMG_8538.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7382.jpeg
    IMG_7382.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8567.jpeg
    IMG_8567.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 50

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's a nice looking box.

Coast redwoods like lots of water, which is why you see akadama recommended, it has high water retention. What did you replace it with?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great job!

From experience, pine is such a soft wood that warps easily when wet. Even long shank screws don’t always help. Found it’s better to add something like a pressure treated 2x2 in each corner to screw into. This would require a modification to the lift out section on bottom to accommodate the 2x2 footprint, or possibly changing the lower section to a removable bottom.

cheers
DSD sends

Mr. Watanabe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a nice looking box.

Coast redwoods like lots of water, which is why you see akadama recommended, it has high water retention. What did you replace it with?
1:1:1 - perlite, Spagnum peat moss, loamy soil

Mr. Watanabe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job!

From experience, pine is such a soft wood that warps easily when wet. Even long shank screws don’t always help. Found it’s better to add something like a pressure treated 2x2 in each corner to screw into. This would require a modification to the lift out section on bottom to accommodate the 2x2 footprint, or possibly changing the lower section to a removable bottom.

cheers
DSD sends
Good idea! My next box will incorporate everything I've learned from this box.

Matt3839

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a silly question about the box. What is the benefit of having the box and open bottom vs just throwing it in a 5 or ten gallon pot?

I’m growing some redwoods myself that I just threw in pots but now I’m reconsidering.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
1:1:1 - perlite, Spagnum peat moss, loamy soil
I had a coat redwood in potting mix and lava rock and it grew aggressively for the past two seasons. I think you'll be alright.

I have a silly question about the box. What is the benefit of having the box and open bottom vs just throwing it in a 5 or ten gallon pot?
When the roots grow down to the bottom of the pot they hit air and stop growing, causing the smaller roots further back to develop more. This helps you develop a ramified this system with lots of fine roots not being thick roots that wind around the pot.

Top Bottom