Cjr Robin BC

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Collected July 14, Robin is now budding. I am contemplating whether to prune the low branch on this tree. All branches were pruned off except for the low branch and the natural downward branch.
View attachment 502687
View attachment 502688
View attachment 502689
View attachment 502690
Seeing pictures of DRs that have big bases growing around low branches makes me want to keep this low branch on Robin. Initially I thought about pruning it off.
Robin's trunk will be carved in the spring for better taper.
1698236104856.png

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you cut that lowest branch off now or in two years, it wouldn't make much of a difference. ..... maybe a bit bigger scar. If you REALLY let it grow wild, it could potentially become a "daughter trunk". My inclination would be to remove it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you cut that lowest branch off now or in two years, it wouldn't make much of a difference. ..... maybe a bit bigger scar. If you REALLY let it grow wild, it could potentially become a "daughter trunk". My inclination would be to remove it.
This spring growing season is the decision point. If it breaks out and grow like crazy, I will keep it.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This spring growing season is the decision point. If it breaks out and grow like crazy, I will keep it.
The only thing about that is the branch, being that far down, normally will not grow vigorously without major pruning of everything above it all during the summer. But, you have to go to know.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The only thing about that is the branch, being that far down, normally will not grow vigorously without major pruning of everything above it all during the summer. But, you have to go to know.
Well. The branch is put in a spot where it gets all the afternoon sun without hindrance from the branches above. If it can’t make it then off it will go.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Just plant these in your yard, add some water and you can have the natural growing environment right there!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Just plant these in your yard, add some water and you can have the natural growing environment right there!
I am not putting any more hole in my yard. I am selling the house soon.

Top Bottom