Cjr Bald Cypress Twin Tower

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I like this one... maybe late now but I would chop the thinner one (I think its the one on the right in the image above) lower than the other one. This was my vision for the twins I was growing that died this year...
My thought exactly. I am leaving both trunks long to protect the buds from drying out in the extreme heat we have. Soon as the buds develop and we are out of the heat wave, buds will be selected and trunks will be chopped. I figure I have a very short time window to do that before I have to prep the collected trees for winter. If the heat wave persists, the trunks won't be chopped until spring next year. I will let the tree grows as much as it can to prepare to survive winter. I know winter in LA isn't much but still a 2 month dormant period sometimes is too much for a collected tree with low energy to overcome. I have to watch out for all my trees. :)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Why do you dig such a huge rootball? Do you use a shovel or a saw on these?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Why do you dig such a huge rootball? Do you use a shovel or a saw on these?
I used my root slayer XL. It's pretty easy to slice through with that sharpened shovel. I then can take the tree back, wash off the dirt and make clean cuts on the roots to the length I want. This way there are no cracks in any roots of the trees I collect.
The camera angle makes the root ball looks so big. It really wasn't that big as you can see it planted in the mortar tub.

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I used my root slayer XL. It's pretty easy to slice through with that sharpened shovel. I then can take the tree back, wash off the dirt and make clean cuts on the roots to the length I want. This way there are no cracks in any roots of the trees I collect.
The camera angle makes the root ball looks so big. It really wasn't that big as you can see it planted in the mortar tub.
I have found that I can use an 18” pruning saw to extract the trees I collect. Far less root damage than my root slayer does. Also I can collect a much smaller root ball. I do recut the ends of all roots once I get home and get the root ball sorted.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have found that I can use an 18” pruning saw to extract the trees I collect. Far less root damage than my root slayer does. Also I can collect a much smaller root ball. I do recut the ends of all roots once I get home and get the root ball sorted.
Where the soil/muck is soft I also use my pruning saw. In those cases, I do a smaller root ball. Where I collect, under the thin muck, there is tough clay that makes it difficult to use the saw. I agree with you on the use of the saw. I prefer the saw whenever I can use it. In areas where I can I use my cordless reciprocating saw using the carbide tipped demolition blade.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is my favorite one, very cool.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
That growth rate is INSANE!!!
😮