Chop identification

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
I picked up some pots over the weekend on the American Bonsai Association Sacramento’s yearly bus trip and would like some assistance identifying some chops.

I picked this one up at Gordon Deegs’ place. He said it was a Yamaaki but the chop doesn’t look like anything’s I’ve seen online
IMG_5599.jpeg
IMG_5600.jpeg

I got this slab at Jonas Dupuich’s garden in Alameda. He couldn’t remember who made it but recognized the chop.
IMG_5598.jpeg
IMG_5601.jpeg

The last one I picked was from the Kusamura Bonsai Club show in Pablo Alto. It’s a little accent plant pot. A few veteran club members said they were from the 40’s-50’s and one gave a name couldn’t remember the name of the potter or importer.
IMG_5596.jpegIMG_5597.jpeg

Thanks!!

Found the first one, Masushita Masuo of Izumi-ya kiln. I have the chop pictured upside down 😂 whoops

I picked up some pots over the weekend on the American Bonsai Association Sacramento’s yearly bus trip and would like some assistance identifying some chops.

I picked this one up at Gordon Deegs’ place. He said it was a Yamaaki but the chop doesn’t look like anything’s I’ve seen online
View attachment 485287
View attachment 485288

I got this slab at Jonas Dupuich’s garden in Alameda. He couldn’t remember who made it but recognized the chop.
View attachment 485289
View attachment 485291

The last one I picked was from the Kusamura Bonsai Club show in Pablo Alto. It’s a little accent plant pot. A few veteran club members said they were from the 40’s-50’s and one gave a name couldn’t remember the name of the potter or importer.
View attachment 485293View attachment 485294

Thanks!!
"Cheristar" was an import/exporter of Chinese and Japanese pots in the 70's and 80's--possibly before as well. The bamboo pot is likely Japanese, but could also be Chinese Yixing, judging from the clay. Hard to tell exactly, as it doesn't have a maker's mark. Nice little pot though.

Back
Top Bottom