Cedar Apple Rust?… or Invasion of the Body Snatchers Space Goo?

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yup. Fact of life with ERC unfortunately. I’m managing through a few spots on one of mine, didn’t hit it early enough this year and some got established. I’ve gotten each spot before reaching this stage but it’s definitely annoying. Not enough to make me give up on ERC though!

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
What will you treat with if you don’t mind me asking?
I know you didn’t ask me but I use a combo of Neem Oil as an in between application (not sure it’s really doing much) and Bonide’s Infuse systemic product.

The Infuse has definitely knocked the rust back hard the two times I have checked on my trees after heavy rains and found the wet, globular precursors to the pictured mature rust fungi you posted. However it has persisted as little rust colored lumps on the tree and today was the second time I had to apply so I don’t think the systemic aspect has really kicked in yet. This is the first year I am treating with it the tree is in its third year.

It seems this affliction is a tough nut to crack. Likely an exercise in management rather than eradication but I am optimistic. I have a crabapple I am stubbornly working with as well hence the prevalence but it’s pointless anyway as there are mature cedars as well as Beadford Pears everywhere so there’s no avoiding it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I bought a Hawthorn last year and the seller didn't disclose that it was so badly infected with cedar apple rust. At the collection I volunteer at the curator has us use daconil granules on the hawthorn but I haven't found any at the local stores so I'm looking for some other options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know you didn’t ask me but I use a combo of Neem Oil as an in between application (not sure it’s really doing much) and Bonide’s Infuse systemic product.

The Infuse has definitely knocked the rust back hard the two times I have checked on my trees after heavy rains and found the wet, globular precursors to the pictured mature rust fungi you posted. However it has persisted as little rust colored lumps on the tree and today was the second time I had to apply so I don’t think the systemic aspect has really kicked in yet. This is the first year I am treating with it the tree is in its third year.

It seems this affliction is a tough nut to crack. Likely an exercise in management rather than eradication but I am optimistic. I have a crabapple I am stubbornly working with as well hence the prevalence but it’s pointless anyway as there are mature cedars as well as Beadford Pears everywhere so there’s no avoiding it.
Much appreciated for the information

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I read that Shimpaku cant get this disease..is that correct ?

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i use bio-advanced 3in1, the liquid version. worked last year. maybe ill try full strength brushed on as mentioned above too.. havent done that!!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Much appreciated for the information
I dont think neem oil is going to be very effective on cedar apple rust
Get some daconil or copper based fungicide

I got rid of it when I caught it early, found the nodules on the tree before they became the goo monsters and cut them off.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I dont think neem oil is going to be very effective on cedar apple rust
Get some daconil or copper based fungicide

I got rid of it when I caught it early, found the nodules on the tree before they became the goo monsters and cut them off.

Yeah I mentioned I was dubious of whether it was helping at all and I believe the heavy lifting is being done by the Infuse. I ordered fertilome 3 in 1 and plan to paint it on, hopefully that does the trick .

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It is truly a nasty, otherworldly fungus.

That had the audacity to evolve over millions of years to rely on two seemingly random species I want to cultivate as Bonsai to propagate itself.

Top Bottom