AKBonsai

Seed
Reaction score
A couple years ago I started a formal upright spruce from a sapling. During the rough Alaska winter we had it got knocked over. I. The spring it was mailable so I washed the roots and draped them over a fun rock I found. Then I buried it and wired into a cascade. The last two winters have had record setting snowfalls that have eroded the soil away on top. The first photo with the green circle shows where the rock is. The last photo shows where the rock is eroding. It’s almost time for spring wiring and trimming. Any advice from experts out there on where to trim and where to wire would be amazing. I’m just winging this as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6033.jpeg
    IMG_6033.jpeg
    273.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6061.jpeg
    IMG_6061.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 14

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Really difficult to advise on a shape for the trunk and branches without seeing the rock and roots first.
Root over Rock is not 2 separate things. The tree needs to harmonize with the shape of the rock and the roots.
Not sure how well the roots are wrapped on the rock. I cans see part of the rock in the final photo but no sign of roots over the exposed part so I can only hope it's an interesting rock and the roots are well placed on some other part of it.

To get the trunk and the roots to thicken and look mature you really need to allow the tree to grow a bit more. Starting to trim and shape too early just stops growth and you'll have the same small, skinny tree for many years.

Apologies that's not more helpful as far as shaping your tree.

Top Bottom