Carissa macrocarpa (Natal Plum)

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am starting this thread over, since origonally i had the wrong name for the tree. It is actually aCarissa macrocarpa (Natal Plum). I saw some at Dragon Tree Bonsai the other day and thought the trunks look cool so I brought one home with me. I understand they are what would be considered sub-tropical and not cold hardy in my area. I will be keeping it in my unheated basement when the temperatures drop below 50 or 55 F. I hoping someone could give me a few pointers on styling and such. So far I have just cleaned up dead foliage/branches and trimmed off some wild shoots. I didn't want to do too much in the winter. I would like to know what I can safely do to Carissa this time of year, and is it customary to clean the dead bark from the trunk? I know that with Juniper you do, and Pines you don't, not clear on other species. any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks; Robert

201511087094EOS 40D.JPG

It's going to need some amount of light. For a subtropical a south facing window is a better option than your basement.

It's going to need some amount of light. For a subtropical a south facing window is a better option than your basement.

To be clear, I have what is called a "walk-in" basement. The back wall is at ground level and there is a curved window on one end that gets good sun exposure. In the past I monitored the temperature and never saw it below 50°F even when outdoor temps were around 10°F. I could keep it upstairs, but I figured the changes in temperature would be good for it, as I know most trees need that for optimum health.

Yeah it will appreciate some winter protection. Where this tree grows naturally, the people don't own winter clothes...:p

To be clear

It will do better if you also use supplement lighting in the same area. Even if it gets full Sun exposure it is filtered and the daylight hours are far shorter. As for styling I think that you cleaned it up is all that should be done now. Grow it and wait until Late Spring. You and the plant will be much happier if it gets though Winter healthy.

Grimmy

The bark for Carissa is fairly firmly attached, normally it is not peeled off or removed. You could use a toothbrush and water, or 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, and try to scrub off some of the dirt, moss, and salt deposites from the trunk. I would not use lime-sulfur, you are not trying to bleach the bark, just get dirt and salt off. :

The plant itself is poisonous so you know although the fruit is not.

Grimmy
So true. Never been so miserable working on a bonsai as on a Natal Plum. Everywhere I got stuck by one of those little hidden thorns became an itchy painful blister. Must've had 20 on my left hand alone.

Back
Top Bottom