California juniper in the (almost) tropics

It clearly can be done. I believe they are native to Okinawa which has a climate not too dissimilar to be yours. I don't know about Japanese Maple, but I think you have no shortage of good material. My suggestion to someone starting out is to try and avoid experiments in the beginning and start with trees that you know will grow well in your area. Once your confident with your horticultural practices, you can start to think of trying something new. If you start off with the alien plants and they die, you'll not know if it was something you did or if the plant couldn't tolerate your climate.
Markyscott speak truth, Kimosabe!

You make a VERY valid point. The trees that are currently in bonsai pots are from a local bonsai garden on island (probably the ONLY one on island). As for my other species, they are all still in nursery pots and I think I'm going to continue growing them as such to see how they acclimate to their new environments. I've been reaching out to members of the disbanded Valley Isle Bonsai club to gain more knowledge and just have a good time with people interested in the same hobby.

It clearly can be done. I believe they are native to Okinawa which has a climate not too dissimilar to be yours. I don't know about Japanese Maple, but I think you have no shortage of good material. My suggestion to someone starting out is to try and avoid experiments in the beginning and start with trees that you know will grow well in your area. Once your confident with your horticultural practices, you can start to think of trying something new. If you start off with the alien plants and they die, you'll not know if it was something you did or if the plant couldn't tolerate your climate.

Harry Hirao's collected Cal. Juni at the National arboretum did fine for years, then started a slow decline and had to be taken off exhibit for a stint in rehabilitation. Developed root rot. I think this had to do with the combination of soggy weather and soil. It was changed out into a freer draining mix and put back on exhibit, though. It was donated more than 20 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

D.C. has summers with hear and humidity roughly equivalent to those in Dallas, only about a month shorter.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/collections/VirtualTours/BonsaiVirtualTour_32.html#Slide

Harry Hirao's collected Cal. Juni at the National arboretum did fine for years, then started a slow decline and had to be taken off exhibit for a stint in rehabilitation. Developed root rot. I think this had to do with the combination of soggy weather and soil. It was changed out into a freer draining mix and put back on exhibit, though. It was donated more than 20 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

D.C. has summers with hear and humidity roughly equivalent to those in Dallas, only about a month shorter.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Gardens/collections/VirtualTours/BonsaiVirtualTour_32.html#Slide

I think I recall Ben Oki telling me that he had donated a California Juniper to the arboretum but it had died. Do you recall any details about that tree?

Sorry, I don't know anything about Ben's tree. I had heard when Warren Hill was curator, or even before that, some of the Cali. junipers at the arb were having issues. There are a few California Junipers up there though, so I didn't get more specifics.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Ben's tree. I had heard when Warren Hill was curator, or even before that, some of the Cali. junipers at the arb were having issues. There are a few California Junipers up there though, so I didn't get more specifics.
Yes, several trees died. I believe there were about a dozen other trees on the verge of death, Boon repotted them into his mix (they had been in really bad soil). All but one were saved. I don't think they were all California Juniper.

Boon doesn't talk about this much. If asked, he'll tell you. But he doesn't want to say anything negative about others.

Plunking away in the dog days of summer. Yeesh it's hot - and HUMID! CJ seems happy though, so I guess I can't complain too much. Not much work right now - I'm just letting it fill in and reducing the second apex a bit at a time.

Here it was in December:
image.jpeg

Here it is today:
image.jpeg

Scott

Very interesting. What about Lat.24N,50 miles N. of the southern tip of Baja California?Too far south?It is a desert here,with aquifers that bless it.No rain at all except for storms(infrequent,thank the good Lord).

Very interesting. What about Lat.24N,50 miles N. of the southern tip of Baja California?Too far south?It is a desert here,with aquifers that bless it.No rain at all except for storms(infrequent,thank the good Lord).

I understand them to be native to Baja California, but the southern tip is a bit south of their native range.

image.jpeg

But only by a couple of hundred miles. I'd give it a go.

Scott

Thank you a lot. I will try.

A good choice is to purchase an inexpensive one and see how it does for a couple of years in your area under your care. I bought the one above in winter 2011/2012 from Muryama up in Sacramento for a very reasonable price. I repotted it into a grow box and let it go for three growing seasons before I did anything with it. After that I was pretty confident that they would do well in Houston, so I styled it and took the plunge on some nicer material.

Scott

Reactions: Geo
Here's another CJ I added to my collection this year. I purchased it from David Nguy in Los Angeles over the winter - David is coming to Houston in November and will do a demonstration on a great California Juniper. It will be raffled after the event, so if you're in the area make sure to come in for a visit.

This time I was in the market for a tall one, with some movement and good deadwood. I picked out this one from his extensive collection:
image.jpeg image.jpeg

David does a lot of business in Houston, and added it to his next shipment:
image.jpeg

Scott

Here it is today - I've not done much over the summer other than clean the deadwood and live vein. Just let it grow - I'll probably repot into a grow box over the winter but I'll hold off on styling for another growing season, I think.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Scott

Here's another CJ I added to my collection this year. I purchased it from David Nguy in Los Angeles over the winter - David is coming to Houston in November and will do a demonstration on a great California Juniper. It will be raffled after the event, so if you're in the area make sure to come in for a visit.

This time I was in the market for a tall one, with some movement and good deadwood. I picked out this one from his extensive collection:
View attachment 114731 View attachment 114732

David does a lot of business in Houston, and added it to his next shipment:
View attachment 114733
Scott
Sweet!

He does! We picked it up at the loading dock of the supermarket. It worked fine, but it was hilarious picking it there. We had to maneuver it out between a pallet of bok choy, some Napa cabbage, and several boxes of dried mushrooms.

Scott

Yes, several trees died. I believe there were about a dozen other trees on the verge of death, Boon repotted them into his mix (they had been in really bad soil). All but one were saved. I don't think they were all California Juniper.

Boon doesn't talk about this much. If asked, he'll tell you. But he doesn't want to say anything negative about others.

Sorry to bring up this older post, but I am curious about this occurence.

Was this at the National Arboretum and were the trees in a sand and peat mix by any chance?

I ask because of things I've heard from other people and I would like to verify.

Thanks

As to the trees, they are awesome.
Looking forward to additional updates as they develop

Back
Top Bottom