Bunjin Show, Literati Show

i really like this tree,was it at the USBNE?

Thank you very much. Yes, it was at the 3rd U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester, NY, the greatest experience of my bonsai life.

Celtis laevigata (hackberry) 8 inches.

Attachments

• CELTIS_L.JPG
    CELTIS_L.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 255
Thanks for posting the picture. This tree is an unusual choice for literati. Very nice.

great thread! Hope to see more posters... I've got a sort of one, that I'll post when I get a chance to take a pic.

Here's one I had higher hopes for, a collected Virginia Pine that stands over 4' tall. I collected it in '07 and it's never been very strong. It's the closest thing I have to a literati. Great bark and some nice natural Shari...that's about it.

IMAGE_6D543AAB-6123-47D6-B41A-A7FFDD7620D2.JPG

Nice trees all! Love the apricot Fred.

"Here's one I had higher hopes for, a collected Virginia Pine that stands over 4' tall. I collected it in '07 and it's never been very strong. It's the closest thing I have to a literati. Great bark and some nice natural Shari...that's about it."

Brian, thats because it wants to come back to Virginia. ;)

Bob O

Last edited:
Here's the other bunjin I have, an ilex verticillata 'Winter Red." It is over 4 feet wide, and for that reason, the bark and other character marks don't show well except in very large photographs. Alert>>This photograph was taken last fall. I have since pruned a section at the end of the trunk, at the suggestion of Mary Miller. The photograph has been altered to reflect the pruning.

So, first picture is of the whole tree, and then a closeup of the bark.

Ilex V. bunjin.jpg

bark.jpg

Just to rejuvenate this thread, here's a 8-inch bunjin I've been working on. It is a Virginia pine.

And thanks to John Romano for his article in small bunjin in this issue of International Bonsai.

Attachments

• 8-13 b.JPG
    8-13 b.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 8-13 c.JPG
    8-13 c.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 99
Here's the other bunjin I have, an ilex verticillata 'Winter Red." It is over 4 feet wide, and for that reason, the bark and other character marks don't show well except in very large photographs. Alert>>This photograph was taken last fall. I have since pruned a section at the end of the trunk, at the suggestion of Mary Miller. The photograph has been altered to reflect the pruning.

So, first picture is of the whole tree, and then a closeup of the bark.

View attachment 25211

View attachment 25212
OH wow, this one is incredible - I wonder how it looks now?

It only looks about 1ft wide from the photos, it must be even more impressive in person.

OH wow, this one is incredible - I wonder how it looks now?

It only looks about 1ft wide from the photos, it must be even more impressive in person.

I appreciate you reviving this old thread. I hadn't seen this before.

Those of you who posted here ten or more years ago, are you still around? I know some of you are, at least. How are your trees doing?

Here is a hawthorn I collected being trained in a literati style-work in progress.hawthorn.jpg

Back
Top Bottom