Brazilian Raintree HELP!!!!!

BRT12

Seed
Reaction score
I’ve had these trees for a few years. I am in Colorado and they are currently placed inside. I defoliated my big Brazilian Raintree a few months back, and the growth came out OK but it’s now starting to drop. The leaves are falling but not drying up and I’ve noticed the color is no longer darker green. It is more of a light greenish white color. I have a feeling the tree was slightly underwater, and I have a few pictures of a couple other trees that are kind of doing the same thing as well. I’m confused as to what I did and how I can help get it back to healthy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 38
Hopefully, someone here knows about bleaching in Brazilian raintrees.

The leaves are folded so it is either not happy for some reason or it's just bedtime for it.
It looks dark outside the window and no light on the tree.
Usually yellow could be over watering (I don't think so on a BRT but depends on soil).
I've had mine very dry for a long time and never seen that though too dry and the leaves will fold and dry and eventually fall, new ones will grow.
It may be just not enough light, days are getting short.

Ive submerged my BRT pots in a tray of water when I went on vacation during the winter and did not have this happen so I doubt it's overwatering. The soil looks open so I'm not sure how it could be too much water.

Also never seen this as summer turned to fall (it shorter days) when they were outside.

If it was outside and you moved it inside though, with much less light. I suppose that could do it but again, I've not seen that either...

Defoliation will cause it to work harder pushing out new growth to replace what you removed. Have you been fertilizing? This could be a deficiency as well

Last edited:
Mine drops most of its leaves and generally looks like crap for the last month or so of its time indoors and then springs back to life like nothing ever happened once it gets outdoors in spring, so take a deep breath and then exhale slowly. They’re tough trees. So, it’s quite likely it’ll pull through. Watch the watering. Never let it get bone dry, but also try to not let it stay soggy all the time. Give it plenty of light. Wait and watch. If you see more symptoms of an ongoing problem, post back here. For now, be patient and don’t fuss with it.

Back
Top Bottom