Bougainvillea questions

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recently bought a Bougainvillea at a local nursery. I was looking for nonsai material and I liked the structure. It has the largest trunk at the nursery. I hve since styled the tree. I should have taken a picture before, but forgot to and only got one after. I will try and post the picture here. My question now is when and how to repot. I have read that the best time to repot Bougainvillea is at the height of summer, so I have that going for me. I have also read that you should only cut back about ¼ of the roots when you repot. Therein lies the problem. This Bogi is rootbound in a 2 gal nursery pot. How do I go about trimming the roots for a Bonsai pot? I will probably let it grow some first but, when I do start thinking about putting my Bougainvillea in a pot, how do I go about reducing the root ball and how do I select a pot? What are the criteria for a bogi pot? I know that with trees it's based on a ratio to overall bight and such, but with a bogi it seems it would be different.

I'm in North Alabama where we have very hot and humid weather in the summer (currently 98)and wet and mild in the winter. Typically we get short periods in the high 20's °F but it has been known to go down to 10° F. I will be keeping my bogie either in the house or in the basement while it is below 50.

PSX_20150714_210915.jpg

The entire root theory confounds me...these suckers root from thick cuttings of a tree. Yet, are root sensitive...I'm not sure if cutting the roots back causes die back of specific branches or what...but, I would go ahead and repot. (Just ordered more substrate to do my tropicals actually) I'll be repotting my bougainvillea as well. But, they are in bonsai pots. I know their roots can be a tangle mess under the substrate...you just don't know what your getting into. It could be cool or a hot mess. But, I would personally look at it like this...root prune...if you see a major decline...chop at the base and treat it as a cutting. They thrive and root easily...as a plan B. Shoot...you could even have two trees verses the one. Food for thought...

Bougainvillea are great trees. Just let it get dry between watering. They also prefer to be root bound so I'm told...so that also may deter blooms for a bit...but, they bounce back and are hardy in my opinion. Toss some Bougain on once it's re established itself...but, not right after a root prune...I would give it time to recover a good bit first.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the reply. I had the same thought about "root theory". Just can't understand how a plant that roots so easily can be root sensitive. In fact I planted most of the cuttings from the pruning. Hopefully I'll have multiple bogi's to work with. The rootings will have to grow a bit since in general the trunks are less than half the size of the parent.

I know the picture isn't great, but any styling suggestions? This is my first attempt at styling. One of the reasons for buying it was to have something to work on to Learn pruning. I have a juniper and a twisted False Cypress, but they are waiting for an upcoming class at the local Bonsai club.

Mid Summer is the best time to root prune in your location. Because it is a new plant and not established I would suggest you pull the whole plant out of the pot on the dry side so the roots and substrate stay intact. It appears you took off a good amount of foliage and branches. Looking at that container I would suggest sawing of the bottom third of the root and substrate. Then fill that same pot up the same amount of stone, rock, or any free draining crap laying around. Cut a round of the plastic craft mesh to fit over the rock. Replant the plant without fooling with it right on top.
Get it established and healthy and if you follow what I said it will like being root bound and do well for you. Repeat the process again next year and if it is doing great take 50 percent off the bottom instead of 33 percent. Long but safe process... Hardcore fans of the plant would say you can do more at first but I must argue that unless you have it a full year baby steps will produce good results instead of death...

Grimmy

You're already way ahead of me. I was afraid to work mine for the same root theory reasons. By time I got the courage she started pushing tons of bracts so I decided to wait until next summer and just enjoy her blooms. I look forward to seeing the progression on yours! I love these plants! They do root from cutting very easily, I rooted 3 cuttings from just a quick clean up I did and all three are pushing out leaves already! Should be a fun project!

My only issue with that Grimmy is...I've read that you must keep their roots moist. I don't want home poster thinking the roots may remain dry during the process...Or it can cause issues with bougainvillea... I know many hose the roots down after pulling them from a pot. You don't want the roots to go dry while repotting. Is what I've read over and over again. I keep mine moist...I keep a mister of water at hand...and a damp towel. (But I may be going overkill...but, that's how I roll)

I've read that you must keep their roots moist.

If you read closely I said to let it dry up enough to pull the plant out with roots and soil intact. They would need to be damp, not wet for that to work ;)

Grimmy

Letting it dry enough to pull it out with roots intact is not a problem. In this heat that takes about 10 minutes. I did decide to go ahead and repot. But I didn't follow Grimmy's direction exactly (sorry). I did cut about 1/3 off the bottom, but based on other information I read, I also cut some off the sides. Since it likes to be root-bound, I cut off just enough to fit it into the next smaller pot. I then used my chopsticks to fill in all around with a bonsai soil mix that is mostly lava rock. And yes I did keep the roots wet while working. I sprayed the rootball down after pulling it from the pot. The results are in the picture below.

20150718_150808.jpg

This should hold it till mid summer next year, when I may try another root chop (if it survives)
Still no information on how to select a Bonsai pot for a Bougainvillea?

Last edited:
Letting it dry enough to pull it out with roots intact is not a problem. In this heat that takes about 10 minutes. I did decide to go ahead and repot. But I didn't follow Grimmy's direction exactly (sorry). I did cut about 1/3 off the bottom, but based on other information I read, I also cut some off the sides. Since it likes to be root-bound, I cut off just enough to fit it into the next smaller pot. I then used my chopsticks to fill in all around with a bonsai soil mix that is mostly lava rock. And yes I did keep the roots wet while working. I sprayed the rootball down after pulling it from the pot. The results are in the picture below.

View attachment 78135

This should hold it till mid summer next year, when I may try another root chop (if it survives)
Still no information on how to select a Bonsai pot for a Bougainvillea?

Your bougie is still in its training stage, so it needs a training pot. Use a bonsai training pot, as they have bigger drainage holes and higher feet, meaning they drain more freely than conventional planting containers.

One of the big mistakes I see alot of newcomers do is putting a developing tree into a bonsai pot too early. In doing so, you slow down the growth of your tree. As a general rule, a bonsai pot's height is approximately equal tonthe thickness of your trunk. This link may help:

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATChoosing the Right Pot for your Bonsai.htm

Thanks, I agree it is not ready for a Bonsai pot. I was just wondering if Bougainvillea's have different pot requirements, such as deeper or larger pots due to their root sensitivity?

I was just wondering if Bougainvillea's have different pot requirements

Honest against all "general" information there is a member here in Hawaii that grows them at times in "0" substrate - you have a long growing season and I based my recommendations not only on that but the fact you must learn to grow them as we all do. That is determined by your climate and the amount of time you have to follow up... For example damp not wet can be tricky depending on wind and heat and at that point substrate and TIME depicts what works for YOU and not everybody else. There is also one more consideration with ANY new plant - where was it actually raised and what it is used to, not just what the tag says. A plant grown in Florida rated USDA 5 may need Wintered the first year in a shed even if you live in USDA 6. That is just common sense but often overlooked. I understand the excitement of getting a new plant and wanting to get it home and toss it in a 2 inch deep pot but I also suggest to do that may take 2 years to be successful. That is my 1 penny and if anyone does not agree I am tired enough and have enough knowledge of Botany to tell you I really do not need a response. Let's all get back to basics when a person asks a basic question and review what we answer based on the plant, zone, and the users expertise - other then that STFU...

Lovingly,

Grimmy

Just wanted to post an update. My Bougainvillea is pushing new leaves and is also showing some back budding lower on the trunk! I was worried that repotting it might cause it to go into shock but looks like it's OK. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend when I have more time.

You have a plant that is easy to root, you could have hacked the trunk off at the soil line and started it as cutting and it would have rooted just fine. They are pretty well bullet proof to work with as long as you keep them warm. They flower best when roots are crowded, they also like to have the soil dry out and be in bright sunlight all day. The bracts are showy and they get tiny white flowers from the bracts as a bonus. My Pink Pixie has a beautiful bright pink bract, also its the smallest leaf variety of Bougainvillea to boot. There are the Purple bract and red and even orange bract varieties. They are basically a vine, wire growth early as they are brittle and will snap off even thin branches easily. You may consider lopping off one of those branches as the fork is really too high for a twin trunk tree, you could easily root the one you remove and have a nice extra plant to play with.

Oh yeah, mine goes with me to Florida in the winter months and comes home to Ohio in the summer, it has been in a Bonsai pot since cutting it down from a nursery container and I have to re-pot it once in the spring and then once again mid-winter as it gets so full of roots it will not drain properly, it never skips a beat and starts pushing bracts in a few weeks after being re-potted. It basically gets a 12 month growing period . The wounds on Bougies do not heal over well and the wood rots easily so be wary of this and keep in check any wound areas before rot gets out of hand.

IMG_1159 by ed, on Flickr

This was mine from last summer about 3 weeks after re-potting and defoliation plus removing a few branches which were started and give to my daughter.

ed

Last edited:
A question about the wood rot with Bougies, So,people have made some cuts.In some cases major chops.What is there to do about the wood?The site of the cut or chop,that is.

A question about the wood rot with Bougies, So,people have made some cuts.In some cases major chops.What is there to do about the wood?The site of the cut or chop,that is.
I think they carve it out at some point and make it into part of the design of the tree?

Another question. For trees such as Bougainvillea, that like to dry out between waterings, if we have a week like this one where it storms for a short period every day or night, should I move my tree under cover where it won't get rained on? The downside is that it sits in the shade rather than getting several hours of direct sun.

LanceMac10
Could you tell me something about that trunk?How it got there,or rather,how you got it there?I have a tree that I got from a nursery and re potted.At the time I noticed that it was not solid in the nursery pot.Bit wobbly.Stayed that way after the re pot too.I then saw that there was deadwood right in the middle of the base.Now,after a few months I can see two main roots angling out with a space in the middle and a chunk of deadwood right on top of them.The tree is healthy and has flowered several times.Lots of new growth from a trim I did two weeks ago.It has recovered from whatever was going on with it before I got it.Doesn't wobble anymore.So.I just wonder if I can capitalize on that deadwood part.Hope this is clear enough.Can't post a pic just now.By the way,I love that Bougie of yours.Mine is a red variety.

Back
Top Bottom