Bored ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
These are awesome! You should check out the Avant-Garden Exhibit going on right now at the Pacific Bonsai Museum, several of the pieces are very much so in this vein.
Thx for the positive comment. I have seen the films of the exhibit. Really like it. My tastes of bonsai have certainly changed over the years. Love Dan Robinsons trees and following Raphael N on you tube . You develop your own style or likes .

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Definitely! I find myself not being a huge fan of Dan Robinson, but I've never seen his trees in person (one of these days, it's just a ferry ride away!). Obviously I massively respect what he's done for the art, but it's not my taste...yet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
Definitely! I find myself not being a huge fan of Dan Robinson, but I've never seen his trees in person (one of these days, it's just a ferry ride away!). Obviously I massively respect what he's done for the art, but it's not my taste...yet
You owe it to yourself to see them in person. He walked us through most of it and it was fun . Very inspiring.He has been doing bonsai for a year before I was born. I’m 65

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
man... I want one of these pots. if you have any to offload sometime, I'm sure there's demand

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
At the bsop swap meet this last summer I had a few members looking at this pine . They thought it was a lodge pole . Who knows . Anyhow I decided to plant it into one of my canning pot lids . Kind of like this, nice and light too lol . I also should include a picture of my black pine I potted up a few days ago .canning lid pine 4.jpgcanning lid pine 3.jpgcanning lid pine 2.jpgblack pine my pot 1.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
One of the things I've heard Ryan Neil discuss with respect to metal containers is that, due to rust and corrosion, there is an inherent age limit of the container itself. The rust is an awesome visual effect, and I can see it sets in rather quickly based on the white pine's pot. I wonder if you have seen any sort of structural weakness in these yet? And if so, what sort of time frame does that take.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
One of the things I've heard Ryan Neil discuss with respect to metal containers is that, due to rust and corrosion, there is an inherent age limit of the container itself. The rust is an awesome visual effect, and I can see it sets in rather quickly based on the white pine's pot. I wonder if you have seen any sort of structural weakness in these yet? And if so, what sort of time frame does that take.
I expect things to corrode and rot . Time frame ? Who knows . I do plan on looking into having a local company cnc cut some shapes and pieces out of substantially thicker metal possibly corten steel . Then I will weld them together for a more substantial pot . Thinking like 3/16 thick or so . These should last along time .

Contact

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Wow, very interesting! Maybe someone already asked before, what about hot temperatures? I think that a metallica pot can be come very hot in Summer, amo I wrong?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8 b
Wow, very interesting! Maybe someone already asked before, what about hot temperatures? I think that a metallica pot can be come very hot in Summer, amo I wrong?
Well I potted a mugo pine in one of my pots last year . I would go around and feel the pot compared to say a mica pot and the mica pot felt hotter . Not very scientific I know lol . The tree is thriving .

Top Bottom