Bonsai Central, Collinsville, IL (near St. Louis) USA, May 3-5, 2024

In person, the amount of patina on that pot is very noticeable - perhaps in pictures it doesn't come through. For a ~120 year old bonsai it seems fitting to me to have a suitably old pot to go under it. (Not to say I dislike that original cream pot, but this new pairing just feels and looks very old)

Yes I wish I had made it to the show for sure. I have a couple photos of Adairs tree on his bench 3 years ago.
I like the cream coloured pot it was in, better than the one he has it in now. Moss looks better now though. What pot do you like?
View attachment 544916

View attachment 544915
As @HardBall said, Adair said he thought it deserved an antique pot.

it seems fitting to me to have a suitably old pot to go under it.
You're right. I must have been feeling younger when I posted that
Now that I'm feeling my age this evening, you're right
:D
Also, I finally got my hands on a @NaoTK forest pot!šŸ˜
View attachment 544954
I guess it's the colour, not the finish I was attracted to IDK.
That's a fine looking pot there :) Now I can't help but imagining that pot in an oval for the Zelkova, for a minute...

At Nationals in 2021 I saw the Zelkova in a shiny new chinese or japanese pot and it was a bad match:
View attachment 544924

the new-old pot is a much better pairing. And now I see the front was changed too
View attachment 544925

Do you know if the owner deliberately chose a pot with so many scuffs and scratches in the patina? And it looks like the patina was cleaned and removed only on the lip?

Itā€™s unfortunate that such a good tree was put in a pot in such poor condition, and that the judges also overlooked this

I think maybe my friend and I were standing there while you were talking to him...after the fire alarm?

I also got a @NaoTK pot..always wanted one! Of course I still want more...it was so hard to decide!

I think maybe my friend and I were standing there while you were talking to him...after the fire alarm?

I also got a @NaoTK pot..always wanted one! Of course I still want more...it was so hard to decide!
I didn't hear the fire alarm but there were two people standing there when we were talking. I thought you wanted to talk to him also so I let him go. I had a pink shirt on.

Do you know if the owner deliberately chose a pot with so many scuffs and scratches in the patina? And it looks like the patina was cleaned and removed only on the lip?

Itā€™s unfortunate that such a good tree was put in a pot in such poor condition, and that the judges also overlooked this
He said since it was an old tree it deserved an antique pot.

I want to say during my exhibition walk with Tyler that he mentioned buying it for his client online and that he was under the impression that the patina was less disturbed in photos he looked at. I think the lip is a trick of the lighting, the pot still has a semi-reflective surface so I believe its simply capturing the overhead light, I don't remember it being cleaned off in person.

@Wood @ForrestW and others who are interested, here is a recording of the professional roundtable on collecting trees, their aftercare and their transition to bonsai. One thing that struck me was how there were some things like fertilizer strategy, that every single professional did slightly differently.

Back
Top Bottom