Bicentennial Bonsai video

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Public Broadcasting Stations aired this video on Saturday (World Bonsai Day) about the gift of the 53 original bonsai from Japan to the U.S. Hadn't seen it before, but it is very very good.

Amazing! Thank you for sharing.
It's two years old, but I'd never seen it. Along with the interesting history of the trees, the bit about John Creech and how he convinced the Japanese to gift trees and how he got those trees to the U.S. (almost on his own dime--$19,000 to charter an airliner--) is a largely untold part of the story. Without Creech, I (or many people) probably wouldn't be talking about bonsai now.

Yes I watched it. It was interesting I didn't know that took place. I want to go see the exhibits

John Creech also wrote a short book on his experiences of bringing the trees to the US. It's included as the last chapter in Bonsai and Penjing: Ambassadors of Peace & Beauty by Ann McClellan:
Learning the history of all these has really given me a deeper appreciation for the whole collection

John Creech also wrote a short book on his experiences of bringing the trees to the US. It's included as the last chapter in Bonsai and Penjing: Ambassadors of Peace & Beauty by Ann McClellan:
Learning the history of all these has really given me a deeper appreciation for the whole collection
Yes the one tree survived the nuclear blast even though it was only 2 miles away because it was behind a wall. I really like learning about the history of bonsai

FWIW, I ran across this book a few years ago--it is a special publication put out by "International Bonsai Digest" back in 1976. It has photos and histories of all the trees donated as well as articles from some of the biggest bonsai "names" back then, from John Naka, John Creech, Kyuzo Murata, Chase Rosade, Bill Valavanis, Yuji Yoshimura, Melba Tucker, Jerry Stowell and a few others. It cost all of $2 (it was $18 in 1976, which was a freaking fortune back then) at the local used book store.

Attachments

• bicentennialbook1.jpg
    bicentennialbook1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 5
  • bicentennialbook2.jpg
    bicentennialbook2.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 5
  • bicentennialbook3.jpg
    bicentennialbook3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom