collecting bougainvillea

before, during, after

best wishes, sam

DSC08144.jpgDSC08155.jpgDSC08156.jpgIMGP5269.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08160 2.jpg
    DSC08160 2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 109
Ouch! If I'm "reading" this correctly, you lost them all?

andy

Satsuki azalea "Eikan". 1- As purchased, 2- after first styling, 3- last May...2.5 years between first and last pictures

Attachments

• DSCF0714.1.jpg
    DSCF0714.1.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF0712.1.jpg
    DSCF0712.1.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 102
  • untitled.png2.jpg
    untitled.png2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 104
Ouch! If I'm "reading" this correctly, you lost them all?

andy

we collected 68 stumps. all are thriving today. will post some pictures of some beginning to look like bonsai

best wishes, sam

we collected 68 stumps. all are thriving today. will post some pictures of some beginning to look like bonsai

best wishes, sam

That's a relief. I saw that 5th picture and thought it was a pile of dead wood.

andy

Brian, that's amazing. I just bought my first pine, and I was wondering how you push the growth on the branches back in toward the trunk like that. That seems like one of the hardest things to do in bonsai.

Check out the link to his website in his signature, the answers are all there in PDF.

Buttonwood, XL :D

2y after.jpg

Buttonwood Cascade first trim.jpg

Buttonwood cascade trimmed sideview2.jpg

Buttonwood cascade trimmed sideview.jpg

Best,
Dorothy

Attachments

• Buttonwood cascade untrimmed.jpg
    Buttonwood cascade untrimmed.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 58
The process of letting the tree growing out was repeated over the last four to five years:

Buttonwood cascade untrimmed.jpg

Buttonwood cascade more grow after trim.jpg

Now that the structure is there the tree will not grow out that much anymore. The ramification process continues. Next is wiring.

Best,
Dorothy

The process of letting the tree growing out was repeated over the last four to five years:

View attachment 41473

View attachment 41474

Now that the structure is there the tree will not grow out that much anymore. The ramification process continues. Next is wiring.

Best,
Dorothy
Dorothy, this is such a GREAT response! How often do we hear, style and pinch.

View attachment 41473

View attachment 41474

Best,
Dorothy

Even though the leaves are cut, these are the smallest leaves I have ever seen on a buttonwood. Also, the leaf size to trunk size proportion on this buttonwood is the best I have ever seen.

Rob

Even though the leaves are cut, these are the smallest leaves I have ever seen on a buttonwood. Also, the leaf size to trunk size proportion on this buttonwood is the best I have ever seen.

Rob

Rob, the tree is far from its potential. I am pretty sure leaf size will be at least half of what you see now. The ramification process is just now starting ( I count from the third generation on).

Best,
Dorothy

I swear some of you in this thread must be part of some secret bonsai society that grants members access to incredible material. Amazing stuff.

Here is one of my Japanese maples in development.

THE STOCK: Tree as purchased. [FALL 2009]

THE CONCEPT: Find a better trunk line and add possible second trunk to the design. [WINTER 2009]

THE EXECUTION: I took one of the tree's branches and turned it into a second trunk by method of air layering and grafting. The left small trunk is a root graft that will be cut off. [SPRING + SUMMER 2013]

I swear some of you in this thread must be part of some secret bonsai society that grants members access to incredible material. Amazing stuff.

You can get it, but it has a price tag that might make you cringe.

You can get it, but it has a price tag that might make you cringe.

I am trying to work on getting better at picking quality material that won't take 10 years just to get to the point of being ready to work. I initially bought stuff that i put in the ground and just have to let grow out for a while. I bought material with tons of flaws from garden centers and I thought "this will never be any good".

So now I am willing to spend more to get exactly what I am looking for. Sure I have to part with some cash, but like any hobby, you gotta pay to play. It's when I kill it that I really cringe. :mad:

And although many pics in this thread show how far some members have brought trees, I still say it is very difficult to find quality material, at least in the Northeast. And online vendors are helpful, but I still desire a larger selection of good stuff to oogle.

I am trying to work on getting better at picking quality material that won't take 10 years just to get to the point of being ready to work. I initially bought stuff that i put in the ground and just have to let grow out for a while. I bought material with tons of flaws from garden centers and I thought "this will never be any good".

So now I am willing to spend more to get exactly what I am looking for. Sure I have to part with some cash, but like any hobby, you gotta pay to play. It's when I kill it that I really cringe. :mad:

And although many pics in this thread show how far some members have brought trees, I still say it is very difficult to find quality material, at least in the Northeast. And online vendors are helpful, but I still desire a larger selection of good stuff to oogle.

I am in the same stage and completely agreed with all your points. It's pretty expensive here for subpar material. I'm sure Rob will chime in with the same.

Back
Top Bottom