Bald Cypress backbuds

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those are looking great. Sometimes it takes a little bit for them to wake up but you have buds up high so you are good to go. Give them time and water, they will take care of the rest.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was recently asked why I don’t soak these BC’s, I would have them sitting in water but the training pots are too big to get into anything I have.

I was planning on buying tubs for each before summer got here but a family friend who says she used to do bonsai offered to let me soak the smaller tree in her koi pond for the hottest months.

What do you guys think?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Fish poop is great fertilizer, as long as the soil doesn’t muck up her pond I don’t see a disadvantage to this idea. Also, the premade round pond liners from Lowe’s make a great training pot/soaking tub for BC.
IMG_1697.jpeg

Last edited:

hardtimes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I was recently asked why I don’t soak these BC’s, I would have them sitting in water but the training pots are too big to get into anything I have.

I was planning on buying tubs for each before summer got here but a family friend who says she used to do bonsai offered to let me soak the smaller tree in her koi pond for the hottest months.

What do you guys think?
I think her pond will get too dirty too fast but if you’re willing to also clean then maybe it would be cool

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Fish poop is great fertilizer, as long as the soil doesn’t muck up her pond I don’t see a disadvantage to this idea. Also, the premade round pond liners from Lowe’s make a great training pot/soaking tub for BC.
View attachment 537141
These are exactly what I need. Thank you very much and that is a good point about mucking up the pond water. She takes her fish very seriously and I wouldn’t want to cause problems esp. when I could use the pond liner at home.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I think her pond will get too dirty too fast but if you’re willing to also clean then maybe it would be cool
I hadn’t considered the soil effecting water quality but it makes sense, I’d rather not add koi pond maintenance to my list of chores so as cool as it sounded at this point think I will pass and opt for a pond liner instead.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I read in another thread about people adding minnows to the tubs to eat mosquito larvae, the trees are next to where I smoke my cigars so I’ll give that a try. They may have an added fertilization benefit but as long as I don’t create a mosquito breeding zone near my favorite backyard spot I’ll be happy.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
These are exactly what I need. Thank you very much and that is a good point about mucking up the pond water. She takes her fish very seriously and I wouldn’t want to cause problems esp. when I could use the pond liner at home.
I plant mine directly in the tub and drill a drain hole half way up the side of the liner. It lets you soak the BC and keeps the soil surface dry enough that mosquitoes aren’t a problem. The plastic concrete mixing tubs from Lowe’s work well also. The smaller ones are $9 and the larger ones are $18
IMG_8057.jpegIMG_1615.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Moved both trees to full sun after a few weeks of gradually reducing sun tarp coverage and they seem to be handing it well.

Have been bending the shoots with good success but some of the larger branches weren’t making progress so I (loosely) anchored them to the pot.

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpeg
    IMG_9154.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 33

johng

Omono
Reaction score
a family friend who says she used to do bonsai offered to let me soak the smaller tree in her koi pond for the hottest months
That is the absolute best thing you can do...keep the water level below the top of the soil. I do it every year...your trees will thank you:)

Mad Tabby

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3a
One of my two BC is starting to backbud but I’m wondering when to move it into the sun.
I originally had them both in a spot where they were getting what I hoped to be a few hours of morning sun but was concerned it was too much.

After speaking with Erik at Wigerts he recommended I put them in the shade ‘until the buds burst’ then move them to moderate sun.
To do this I converted my chicken tractor into a shade house. The tarp seems like it blocks the large majority of light but I bought a 50% shade cloth that I can switch it out for when the time is right.

So, here are the trees and my current set up (and dog Viper photobombing). What does everyone think and when should I move the one that’s got buds?
Can’t talk on your topic, but I love that setup! ❤️

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Were these not collected this winter?
Why do you not just leave the tree alone for the spring season to get established?
Yes they were.
These are my first BC’s so I’m figuring it out as I go and asking for advice from those with more experience. Part of the advice I’ve been given was to gently bend the shoots which I’ve been doing without problem besides 1 branch I pushed too far.

Do you recommend I go hands off besides watering/fertilizing? If so, why? I’m here to learn as much as I can so appreciate your perspective.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Wanted some opinions on this new growth. I know BC are apically dominant and have been wondering how people factor this in to design.

The lower branches on my larger tree are still quite small compared to the nearly thumb size top branches. I read about getting rid of shoots/branches that aren’t going to be kept because it will bulge the trunk if not removed.

I also hear about leaving the tree alone so that it can recover.

My question is, what if the largest current branch is dead center on the front of the tree. I was hoping for a bud on the side near the chop line and got it but it’s being partially shaded by fat front branch that will not be kept and is bulging.

Remove or keep?

Attachments

• IMG_9466.jpeg
    IMG_9466.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9468.jpeg
    IMG_9468.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9469.jpeg
    IMG_9469.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9470.jpeg